Thread: Drill press prep / marking

Default Drill press prep / marking

So I'm planning to drill some speaker holes in the #8 pommel I just got, and I'm wondering if you veteran sabersmiths can offer me any advice on how to make the speaker holes line up with the grooves in the double-female connector that the pommel will be attached to.

Here is the MHS builder render of what it will look like: drill_plan.JPG

First, is a sharpie (permanent marker) OK to draw on the parts with? Will it wipe away when I'm done drilling? Is there something else that would be better to use?

I was thinking to just pick a point around halfway down the pommel and rotate the hilt to get a straight line around it. Then I could take a straightedge and try to draw a line centered on each one of the grooves, but it's going to be difficult to line it up right since the pommel is angled.

I've seen Madcow's trick about using tape to get halfway around from a point on the hilt, but are there any tricks for doing something like this?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Getting the straight line around the hilt can be done as you've described. Getting the points to line up with the grooves can be done with narrow tape. I like pinstriping tape from the auto parts store.

Sharpie works great, and it'll wipe off with little to no trouble. Use some fingernail polish remover if necessary.

Be sure to use a center punch to mark your holes first, and go slowly at the beginning to prevent the bit from wandering on that initial angle.

Use a vice to hold that MHS piece steady. If it wiggles, you'll get your holes in all kinds of crazy places.

The more care you take in your setup, the better your results will be. Don't fret if it's not perfect. For perfectly lined holes, you'll need an indexing tool.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

From experience ABSOLUTELY use a vice or some good clamps to hold the part. If not you may end up ether ruining your part or hurting your hand(i almost broke a finger). If you are drilling for a switch make sure to use the exact bit or one that is smaller and then grind/sand it to fit. you will get a better fit with less wiggle if you do. if you are going to use a switch plate then i guess the wiggle wont be an issue.

Thanks for the info! I'll take my time, wanna do it right!