Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Episode 7 Lightsaber

its about time.
    I read about Crossguard lightsabers years ago on wookieepedia and have wondered why no one has tried to make one. I was trained by an Olympic fencing instructor in high school. You can't really clash weapons without a guard of some kind. Even katanas have tsubas. Without it its just a big kitchen knife.

the emitters on the cross guard stick out an inch from the sides before the blade even begins. They would just get cut if the blade slide down, rendering them pointless
    I agree.
    I think the emitter should be mounted on the top of the hilt (to one side of the main blade) and the guard blade aimed down and forward kind of like a scissors. That would create a "V" between the two blades. I tried to design one on paper with a thin 1/2" blade but it looked very cumbersome and end heavy

I really like the direction this new movie saber is going! It ratifies my own saber ambitions.

Perhaps the flicker could be done with a rotating LED string or candle-flicker LEDs, although the latter may not have the candlepower yet.

I agree that a design like this seems to have little or no practical use in combat and that a weapon like that would probably be more dangerous to its wielder than the enemy. However, because it's so dangerous to use I think it would speak volumes to his enemies about the wielder's level of confidence in his skill and power. It could instill doubt and fear in anyone who was confronted with such a weapon, emotions that could in turn be used to fuel one's dark side powers. In this aspect I can see why a weapon like this could be useful to a darksider, especially one who hunted down force-sensitives for a living (if the rumors about inquisitors are true). Now, I don't know if such an edge would be worth the risk. I suppose we must wait and see how the saber is put to use. Personally, I can't wait to find out! Anyway, those are my 2 cents
    Last edited by fragrax; 11-29-2014 at 03:03 AM.

One thing to remember is that sword spinning was more a PT thing than an OT thing. If you think about the choreography from the OT, it was more katana/hand and a half sword style (the two styles are very similar). When I was fencing in the SCA (medieval recreationist group) I used cross guards like that to lock my opponent's blade, usually using the outer half of the cross guard, so yes there is a use for cross guards like that depending on the fighter's style.

Quote Originally Posted by WookieeGunner View Post
    When I was fencing in the SCA (medieval recreationist group) I used cross guards like that to lock my opponent's blade, usually using the outer half of the cross guard
    That makes more sense. I could definitely see it work better as an offensive tool (locking and twisting opponents blade) as opposed to protecting the hands. I also think the intimidation fueling the dark side makes the most sense. Still though it would be cool to see him hit a switch and extend one of the guards to full-length during a lockup and see the shocked Qui-Gon face on whatever new order Jedi he impaled.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
    I can't see this Sith keeping his fingers for very long
    Quote Originally Posted by ARKM View Post
    I got to be honest here, I hate that saber. I hate it with a passion bordering on insanity, lol. I have wielded swords with similar cross guards and constantly jammed the ends of the guard in my wrists when twirling. Not even super flexible twirling either. IMHO, it's impractical to even have a guard on it like that made of metal let alone energy that cuts flesh like a white-hot knife through room temperature butter. The guards should be 1; not a form of energy that causes harm to flesh, 2; not quite so freaking long and 3; angled up towards the blade more to further reduce the chance of impaling your wrists on them when twirling. Again, just my personal opinion on the matter.
    I'm gonna echo what these guys said. Not only is the lightsaber impractical, but it looks ridiculous. If this were a normal fantasy setting, it'd be fine... but this is freakin' Star Wars, man! Those "guards" are either gonna slice you up good, or the metal joints are gonna get slashed off and it just becomes a normal lightsaber.

Then again, I have a negative opinion about the "tonfa" lightsaber........ and the saberstaff (though I like them and want to build one).

Maybe that is not a lightsaber but a flare gun/torch, because that poor bloke got lost in the woods.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    Maybe that is not a lightsaber but a flare gun/torch, because that poor bloke got lost in the woods.
    LOL! Yeah, no kidding, why y'all be doggin on homie's forest fire starter? Brother's just tryin to keep warm and all...

Srsly tho, Disney has already stated that there really are no jedi left, so the chances of that.... thing... being used for combat is low. But I'm sure they'll still try to show it as such. As a tool for destruction and intimidation, however, much more likely. Considering the situation of all the rumors, I think it's a perfectly appropriate tool. Any remaining jedi are going to be very old, and probably nuckin futs from living in fear for 50+ years. The thought of the jedi hunters finally finding you, and getting bum-rushed by a legion of sleek new stormtroopers, and finally getting captured/subdued... there's probably not a lot of fight left in you. THEN you're towered over by an already intimidating figure that belches out fire in 3 directions... who need's combat skills?

Quote Originally Posted by WookieeGunner View Post
    One thing to remember is that sword spinning was more a PT thing than an OT thing. If you think about the choreography from the OT, it was more katana/hand and a half sword style (the two styles are very similar). When I was fencing in the SCA (medieval recreationist group) I used cross guards like that to lock my opponent's blade, usually using the outer half of the cross guard, so yes there is a use for cross guards like that depending on the fighter's style.
    WG is right, the cross guard is usually a "trap" device on your rapier or off hand dagger. My time in the SCA taught me that, then I was told by the BOD to not trap blades anymore, the Don's don't like getting stabbed when they can't move their weapon LOL enough on that.
    I'm thinking a cross guard on a lightsaber is impractical, what's the point of locking or trapping a lightsaber blade? Nothing, really when you can just cut through anything with it. At the point you have "trapped" a weapon blade you would have already cut through it with a lightsaber blade. There is also this, its been well known that what we see in the previews is not always what is in the movie. So we may not even see that particular hilt. But we never know. The look of the blade to me was odd, home made kinda odd there might be something to that, again we will see.
    Spinning really is a PT style choreography preference true, but the time and energy that went into OT was more story based than putting an emphasis on flashy duels to make up for really bad characters

Disney has said that there are no more Jedi left when episode VII comes? Weird, I don't know if I like that I already know so much of the plot before the movie comes out. I should just avoid the internet until this movie comes out..Probably would make me a more productive person..