Thread: Change saber LED type/color

giantdarkdragon

Default Change saber LED type/color

I just got a US bellicose saber from a friend. it currently has a Green Seoul P4 LED installed.

I want to change the saber to a red LED system. could I just cut off the current led and solder on a luxeon rebel star red LED?

the saber is powered by 4 AAA and has some kind of resistor wired into it.

As far as I know you can. Make sure you get the right resistor for it. You could also put JST connectors on your LEDs for easy changes later if you wanted too.

Oh, and add on the thermal tape, proper lens and lens holder since it would be the Luxeon.
    Last edited by SithArts; 11-10-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: addition

I would suggest buying an ultra led simply because they come pre wired and pre mounted in the same case you removed the green from, much less work and it will be the correct fit for the bellicoses removeable blade holder.

Yes, but you need to cut both the LED and the resistor and replace with the LED you want and the appropriate resistor for that LED and your power supply. The resistor value for the current green LED is not correct and you will most likely blow your red LED if you use that resistor. Reds have a lower forward voltage that blues or greens.

A star thermal Tape pad to hold the LED to the heatsink wouldn't be a bad idea either (as mentioned by SithArts above.)

giantdarkdragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zzan View Post
    Yes, but you need to cut both the LED and the resistor and replace with the LED you want and the appropriate resistor for that LED and your power supply. The resistor value for the current green LED is not correct and you will most likely blow your red LED if you use that resistor. Reds have a lower forward voltage that blues or greens.

A star thermal Tape pad to hold the LED to the heatsink wouldn't be a bad idea either (as mentioned by SithArts above.)

so would these items be correct?

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Re...dule-P653.aspx
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bu...wire-P363.aspx

I'd like to switch to a buck puck instead of a resistor. From what I've read there's not much more effort to install them?

The MHS heatsink may not be compatible with the hilt, as they are not made to be interchangeable. It would be best to order the led and buckpuck and solder it together yourself.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

That isnt an mhs emitter so I think Jay gon is right, ultra specifically points out on the site which one fits which saber so thats why Id go with that personally. A buck puck is very easy to wire in two wires go to the pack one to the switch and one to the led, presuming theres no soundcard involved.

good to see they upgraded the way they mount their LEDs now, and not looking like this:

If you can't tell thats hot-glue or epoxy inside there covering the LED and lens.. LOLZ.

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

giantdarkdragon

thanks for all the help guys/gals

I think im gonna shelve the project though. I found a SF gladius on ebay (not direct from SF; so I may actually get it lol) that Im gonna use as my main saber