Thread: My First Project!

Default My First Project!

I wanted to introduce myself and start a thread detailing the project I'm working on now. First of all, a big thank you to everyone who has come before and blazed the trails over here. I am amazed at the resources available now! Back in 2001 - 2002 I really wanted to build a great saber but nothing like this existed! I'll probably be able to build something awesome in a quarter of the time and at half the price I would have had to pay back then.

The concept for this project is either A) a "low tech" saber, not as elegant as the traditional light saber, or B) an ultra-uber saber; same tech as traditional sabers but amped-up like Starkiller in TFU (the blade would super-extend temporarily, for example - but I admit this seems silly as a lightsaber is already a sword amped to the nth degree).

This is a weapon that is worn, as much as it is wielded.

Here's a scan of the original concept I started sketching last week My First Concept.jpg (not the best art, but its just to give you an idea of the concept)

If it was real, the concept is thus: there is a micro-reactor in the chest harness, with at least one cable (1/2" or 3/8") running over a shoulder, across the back, and down the arm to a special glove that insulates the user from the energy and facilitates the power flowing into the handle of the sword. The sword hilt is mostly capacitors routing power into the large emitter which also functions like a guard. The only other idea I had is that the eyes might need to be shielded from a blade of pure energy, hence the goggles (which would conceivably also sport some sort of HUD).

I've ordered TCSS parts and electronics to get a feel for how the electronics must be hooked up, and the initial build will look like this (parts chosen for comfort and maybe better sound propagation):

TCSS.jpg

But ultimately I'll be making a hilt more like one of these:

Osaber1.jpgOsaber2.jpg

These are primed plastic plumbing parts I fitted onto golf clubs long ago as props for a little film project (side note: the golf clubs gave these props excellent balance for combat).

Its a little different, I admit, but I think it will look pretty sweet when its all done.
    Last edited by RenegadeFury; 10-12-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    ~Matt Shields

The Five Heroic Truths

Life is conflict.

Conflict is ambition.

Ambition is opposed, but ambition can overcome opposition.

Achievement of ambition creates more energy than it consumes.

Conflict is eternal but can be mastered.

www.JarethDakk.com