Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Souseiki by Yoshi-Taka

Default Souseiki by Yoshi-Taka

I was asked to post my first real lightsaber so here it is. This is Souseiki (Jap., literally "Genesis") named for.. some personal things in my past that never really happened. This lightsaber, however, is my genesis into building them and perfecting my cram-fu. Anyway, here's the specs and pictures.

SPECS:
    -MHS parts
    -Novasound Neutrino board
    -Luxeon Rebel Star (amber)
    -TCSS Premium Speaker
    -4 NiMH AA batteries
    -Covertec wheel
    -In-hilt recharge
    -8-32 button-head screw (blade holder)
    -And not a fancy thing about it

My aim for this one is the epitome of simplicity, which I love in lightsabers. I had to add the extension (you can see the seams between the parts) to give myself more room for the electronics and wires.

That last one is Souseiki laying on my couch to show the LED against a dark surface.
    I picked amber for personal reasons. It looks like a bright yellow on camera but it's a good shade of orange in person and I love it. The covertec knob is positioned in such a way that I have enough room between it and the switch to fit my hands for full combat. It handles very nicely and for a first, Souseki looks good and handles better, I feel. I'm working on finding room to fit an in-hilt recharge because taking off the extension is annoying to have to do. But yeah.. this was my very first lightsaber (well.. first saber that wasn't a MR/Hasbro FX to modify).
    Last edited by Yoshi-Taka; 08-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Once again, I'm drooling. I love the simplicity, and the lines of the extension give it just enough definition for it to say "I'm simple, but made of many parts". Also, that blade is like a ray of sunshine, man. Gorgeous.

Also, I'm beginning to think that "-And not a fancy thing about it" shall become my favorite part of all.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

There's a lot of personal history in this saber and a part of me in it (literally, actually). I suppose that quote applies to both myself and the saber, which is why I'm so attached to this one.

That line is one I keep using because of its truth: there's nothing fancy to my sabers. No externally used parts except the switch. Everything I build is MHS based and bought from TCSS. I guess I like showcasing things that we can make using nothing more than TCSS and the MHS builder.

Well said, my Poet Jedi friend. I can already tell that I'm going to have to try and out do you in simple beauty levels.

Also, I really like the idea of a Jedi having a simple saber. I'm not sure where I remember it from, but I remember someone (a character, I think) saying that a "lightsaber is less of a weapon, and more an expression of who each Jedi is". This always kind of stuck with me, and when I see a saber, I tend to think of it in terms of "who the maker is" in relation to the hilt. Jedi's are simple beings, mostly, and I think that your sabers reflect that nicely.

So...yeah. Consider me a fan.

Oh, that's not poetry in my signature. That's my personal philosophy as a Jedi; my interpretation of the tenants of the Jedi between the Old and New Jedi Orders.

In lightsabers, I follow the philosophy of simplicity the Jedi follow. Material possessions aren't to be held because of attachment. And while a lightsaber isn't to often be used, it still should be able to be wielded to the Jedi's style but still be able to be replaced (because the films have shown us how often lightsabers can be destroyed). Meld the philosophies and you have my lightsabers. Accent LEDs and blaster blocks and blade lockups and shrouds are nice and all, but not necessary for me. Not many sabersmiths like simplicity from what I've seen but personally, I don't know what I'd do with some of the sabers I've seen here; I'd get distracted in combat. And I'm trying to get into more choreography and martial arts with this hobby so functionality matters; simplicity complements is well.

But I'm rambling. Very glad to see I've a follower now, lol. I'm very flattered.

Y'see? This is why I must now stalk you. I'm trying to get into choreography as a way to stay in shape. Or at least, as a supplemental activity. It's hard finding a sparring partner in my neck of the woods, though. Dang.

And I totally get where you're coming from, as far as the simplicity being more attractive. I really like the complicated sabers I've seen around here. I mean, the things that some of these sabersmiths can do just boggles my mind. For me, personally, though, I think that one or two features to set a saber apart is enough.

lol, I consider it more of an apprenticeship via proxy than stalking. Finding other choreographers/duelers is difficult, I'm discovered. But we're getting off topic, there. Something to stick with PMs for, eh?

For me, it comes down to comfort. I prefer to have easy-to-grip sections for my hands and if it's easy to hold and keep a hold of, it's easy to spin and that's half the fun of a lightsaber. Performance and practicality is the way for me. And Souseiki really started that journey through sabersmithing. It just gets easier and more fun the more I build them.

Quite so, good sir. Quite so. Off topic as I may go, my original analysis stands. Beautiful work.

Thank you. It means a lot to me.

Nice and simple...

(I'd just shorten this screw on the emitter to avoid accident)