• Blue

4 14.81%
  • Green

8 29.63%
  • Red

15 55.56%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log: First MHS saber

I like your saber very much, impressive work.

As for the blade color, I voted red like your first intention. I don't think it is too elegant for a Sith saber, on the contrary, I would even see that one on the Sith Council
    Beautiful !
    Clicky Sig =>

Can I put in a vote for Amber for the blade? Not on the poll but call it a write-in...

Blue was the early favorite, but it looks like red has pulled out in front!

Sorry amwolf, I am a sucker for the more iconic blade colors I grew up with.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, she is a labor of love. I debated spending the time on this, and just buying a Phaeton from Parks Sabers. Cost is comparable, depending on the internals. I'm definitely glad I went with my own designs, and I can't thank Tim enough for pulling them off so flawlessly.

I'm afraid there is't too much work getting done this weekend, the weather is way too nice to stay inside around here. The Harley just calls to me...

I might ask Tim to make me some more of those main body sections and shrouds. They would make some epic grips on the Hog.
    Last edited by Mav750k; 08-12-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. -Ash /Army of Darkness

Wiring and chassis completed. I will update with pics when I get them. So far so good. Still debating the color choice for the main led. But I'm considering making an interchangeable set of heat sinks to swap colors. I will probably go with red for the initial install though. Look for updates coming soon!
    Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. -Ash /Army of Darkness

if youre still undescisive for blade color here is an idea im working on for my next couple of builds. if your setup isnt going to have a flash on clash feature you can get one a RGB LED. tim just started carrying the tr-rebels and those will fit the bill. i found a little 3-position slider switch. you can mount it inside of your chassis somewhere and wire one die to each position on the switch and resistor each die properly between the switch and the die.

if your setup WILL have flash on clash there are the LEDengins. the one i am considering for my builds if i end up with FoC is the RGBA. its the same concept as the tri-rebel setup except the amber die is wired for the flash on clash. your saber would honestly look amazing with any of the 3 main colors, and this plan would make all 3 available to you with just the flip of a switch.

one thing to look out for though is if you install a sound card with a voltage regulator (like the petit crouton or crystal focus) you will not be able to change colors unless the kill key is inserted.

my other idea switch-wise is to find a small rotary switch with a decent knob and mount it into a hole drilled into the hilt. that will make the simpler setups able to change colors while already running (the Nano Biscotte that will be out soon will be able to use this feature as it has no voltage regulator) i have yet to find a rotary swith that fits the bill though, but im sure they are out there

i dont mean to sound pushy because this saber is your baby. i just thought i might share this with you and see if you like the idea.

Cool! Reminds me of my Annihilator hilt a bit. I like your deep grip better though.

I have seen some RGB sabers built with switches for each color, and am not interested in adding knobs everywhere. The rotary switch would streamline that system incredibly. This demands more research. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just looked up the Annihilator. Very cool. The influences are undeniably the same. I like your approach to the same concept! I feel a bit more pressure to get this done right. These 2 sabers would look great next to each other.

I think I'm going to stick with a red LED for the econo chassis. But the research commences for an RGB set up when the new board is available! Thanks again clahey83.

If you're really unsure of what color you want, you could also add a JST connector to the led and board and simply swap out the led....you'd need another led and heatsink to do this, however, which would add to the cost of the build. The Hasbro Economy, or toy sound boards do not have an led river like the CF and PC do....a rotary switch set up will work fine with that board if that's what you're using.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The JST\separate heat sink assemblies was my original plan, and I am continuing with it for the econo board setup. I have one assembly for each of the 3 colors. Right now I have everything working correctly, I just have to work out some clearance issues with the switch and resistors. Since each color requires a different resistor set up for the juice I am running through the cheapo board. Anybody know where to get some micro resistors smaller than the ones available here? I plan on putting much more effort into the next chassis and electronics when the new boards arrive. If I am fast enough to snatch one up before they sell out, that is. Looks like they will be selling like hotcakes. No pre-order list, correct?

No, no pre-orders for the Nano Biscotte....it will be a regularly stocked item, and if it sells out, it will likely be back in stock a couple weeks later, if not sooner. For electronics not found in the store here, all I can say is look online for electronic components distributors.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.