4 14.81%
  • Green

8 29.63%
  • Red

15 55.56%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log: First MHS saber

Default Build Log: First MHS saber

It has been a long time of careful planning and designs. Tim was kind enough to let me create all of the files myself. I almost feel like I should have paid him extra for having to sort through the mess of someone else's prep work. I have to say that his work on bringing this to life has been amazing. He spent some serious time going over everything to make sure it was right on. Great guy.

Here is the basic hilt, mostly as delivered yesterday. The only work by me has been some drill/tap work and cutting/fitting the inner aluminum chassis to fill the grooves Tim cut into the main body. Thanks again Tim!

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. -Ash /Army of Darkness

There is still a bit of work to fit the middle ring on the shroud.

Here are some images of my prototype from a long time ago...

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures. -Ash /Army of Darkness

As you can see, the pommel is meant to ressemble an Obi Wan prequel style. The entire saber is a combination of Qui Gon/Obi Wan. I have some square aluminum to cut and attach to the pommel. That is still on the to do list. I prewired all the electronics to get everything working correctly. I butchered an econo saber, and made a rechargeable battery cell. Everything is working great, and I am getting some awesome sound out of the econo board with the premium speaker. Now I have to get everything to fit inside the chassis for install.

Beautiful saber with some sweet details! VERY interested in how you're going to attach that middle ring - is it connected to the switch bevel or just butting up against it? Don't forget to shave those screws down on the blade holder to make sure the blade fits in (they look a bit long at the moment). No chance you'll wait for a Nano Biscotte and ditch that econo board?

There is some finish work for the middle ring to finish before attachment. I won't be relying on any one method of attachment. First, I need to notch the switch bevel so that it will overlap the ends of the ring. Then I will slightly pinch the middle ring, so that there will be spring tension to grip the main body. It will finally be positioned with epoxy to permanently position it. And, if I am still not satisfied, I will drill/tap several holes in it for 8-32 set screws that will thread in flush to the surface with locktight.

Here are several images from the assembly drawings of the files I made that Tim used to machine from. The pommel more closely resembles my intent in these renders. At this time, I was toying with the idea of using an extension at the bottom of the main body. I have since decided to stick to the original length.

Very nice, when are you going to show lit up? very Qui Gonish.
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

Wow thats a sweet saber. Can't wait to see it finished and lit up!
    "If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal."

really nice shroudework! especially I like the ring around the av-switch.

Thanks! I still have work to do on the inner chassis before getting everything lit up and humming.
    I am also still on the edge of what color LED for the final install. Though my original intention was red, I have am currently leaning toward blue or green. She is turning out to look much too elegant for a sith saber.
    I am all for getting a Nano Biscotte board when they become available, however I intend to work with what I have at the moment. It will be fairly simple when the time comes to make a second chassis with different electronics.

Poll added to thread for main LED color. Not saying it will be the deciding factor, but it will be nice to see what everyone thinks.