Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Led Engin RGBAW Problem...

Default Led Engin RGBAW Problem...

I've a problem with a LED Engin LZ4 10W Multi Color:

Connected to a Petit Crouton Sound Module V2.0 it make not too much light (a little bit less than a Seul P4 connected to a Petit Crouton Sound Module V1.5).

I use Li-Ion 3,7V, 900mA.

I tried connecting directly battery to the led and it make a little bit more light, but not enought.

Just for explaining myself: if i put on the blade, it is not lighted till the end.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

do you have the leads wired correctly to led?

I could be wrong, but I don't think one 14500 cell is enough to power a 10W LED to full brightness. You would need at least a 2 cell, 7.4V pack, methinks. But, I'll let the other more experienced smiths here chime in.
    "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive"-Darth Sidious

Tim has data sheet lin at the shop for led.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If you're only running one cell, the PC absolutely can't run the LED and itself off of one cell. You need a 7.4V series pack for the PC to be able to drive the LEDengin (or run at all). Also, what dice are you using on the LEDengin? Just one die for one color? You do realize that each single die on a four die LED is only about as bright as a P4 or so right? You have to connect more of the dice together (different configs depending on color) to get the most out of the LED.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Sorry, my fault. Of course I'm currently using TWO cells
    And the led is also wired correctly.

Could be a problem with the amperage of cells?

The problem is that if I'm not into a completely-dark room, the second half of the blade is not lighted at all...
    Last edited by C1p86; 07-15-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Also, what dice are you using on the LEDengin? Just one die for one color? You do realize that each single die on a four die LED is only about as bright as a P4 or so right? You have to connect more of the dice together (different configs depending on color) to get the most out of the LED.
    Listen to Fender you should.

Does the blade have any diffuser film? Several layers of polypropylene will help.

However, also, ditto on listening to Fender. You're not going to get full power out of that LED module with only a few die wired. That's to be expected and unavoidable if you want to do color mixing.

Other factors to consider are: how much current did you configure the PC 2.0 to output to the LEDs? And are the LED dies wired in series or parallel? Parallel will split the current, so if you have two dies wired up, each one is only getting half of the current output.

So if you configured the PC to output 1 amp and two dies are wired, then each die is getting 0.5 amps. (500ma)

Edit: If you don't need to do color mixing then you should consider a different LED. If you only want to do red, green or blue for instance. Or white.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Starwaster View Post
    Does the blade have any diffuser film? Several layers of polypropylene will help.

However, also, ditto on listening to Fender. You're not going to get full power out of that LED module with only a few die wired. That's to be expected and unavoidable if you want to do color mixing.

Other factors to consider are: how much current did you configure the PC 2.0 to output to the LEDs? And are the LED dies wired in series or parallel? Parallel will split the current, so if you have two dies wired up, each one is only getting half of the current output.

So if you configured the PC to output 1 amp and two dies are wired, then each die is getting 0.5 amps. (500ma)

Edit: If you don't need to do color mixing then you should consider a different LED. If you only want to do red, green or blue for instance. Or white.
    No, I need color mixing!
    Thanks, I missed the option for customizing the output Amps!

If I use two led (blue and green), have I to set to 1400amps? (700x2) ??
    Last edited by C1p86; 07-15-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C1p86 View Post
    No, I need color mixing!
    Thanks, I missed the option for customizing the output Amps!

If I use two led (blue and green), have I to set to 1400amps? (700x2) ??
    That's correct, except that you mean 1400 milliamps which is 1.4 amps. And yes, if you're wired in parallel then you're splitting the current so that each die is getting 0.7 amps. The PC 2.0 can output 2 amps which would give each die 1 amp, which they are capable of handling.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.