Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Reveal

That's amazing! I'd love to get more details of how you made that blade look so awesome. You said there are 84 LEDs in there, but what size and kind are they? Thick or thin wall tube? What diffuser do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by TechKnight View Post
    That's amazing! I'd love to get more details of how you made that blade look so awesome. You said there are 84 LEDs in there, but what size and kind are they? Thick or thin wall tube? What diffuser do you use?
    The diffuser is a stock MR/Hasbro foam tube, the thin plastic diffuser and blade available here in the TCSS shop, and my LED string. The details of which must remain secretive at this time.

Beginning the final fit of the hardware, I still need to shave off about 3/16 from the crystal chamber DIN plug housing so the grenade shell will fit flush against the battery can when it's all closed down. Wires are long enough from Erv' to fit all the way from the soundboard around the battery pack, through the chamber mount, across the chamber, and into the top of the chamber plug housing. I'll wrap the exposed wires in some fine scale braided steel hose.

Once my hardware is done and working, I'll weather it and install the electronics.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Inspiring... Impressive....very impressive

I was looking over most of your threads this last weekend. The only thing I can say is the quote in your sig is extremely accurate. Sweet build Sloth. Sweet build.

Blog Entries

I am jelous...
    "Do or do not....there is no try" - Yoda

So....

Major breakthrough last night on one of the last mechanical hurdles... I was wrestling with this problem: How to mount my top DIN plug to the brass windvane, how to strengthen the neck for dueling, and how to mount the blade securely.

I toyed around with a lot of designs, but finally settled on this for ease of production (I have to make two sets) and strength. I have a DIN plug mount with a setscrew that faces into the chamber, towards the other mating DIN plug.

That DIN plug mount braces against the wall of the grenade, and the lower face of the windvane, and travels about halfway up the inside of the windvane. The top end is threaded 3/8x16, to mate with the hollowed steel threaded rod that travels the rest of the way up the windvane neck into the blade anchor. The wires will travel through this steel threaded rod.

I chose steel for strength, since I did thin the wall of the windvane a bit because I had to widen it to accept the DIN plug. The DIN plug WOULD have fit up inside the 3/8 hole already in the windvane, but I had to account for some way to brace the blade anchor. The little round depression is for the spring to seat into. I will probably mount the spring here on each grenade section for cleanliness. I don't want some goofy spring attached to the crystal chamber when you swap the grenade sections out. If the springs are mounted in the grenade sections, it will take two springs, but it will look cleaner.

I think this is a good solution, it will be strong like my original OBI thin neck, but now it will have the ability to detatch.

Holy....crap. This is absolutely amazing.
    My favorite color may be red, but my lightsaber will always be true blue.

MECHANICALLY WORKING!

I finally got the thing all tied down, it works, it's straight, it's rock solid and balanced. The blade is cut and fit, the chamber is secure, the latch works, the DIN plugs mate and clock correctly, the quick detach works, etc.
    Next up, weathering/oxidizing the grenade and windvane and emitter.

Can't wait to see the final video of this beauty! Fantastic work as always Sloth!
    Follow Your Bliss

Mmmmm nice man
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"