Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm building a lightsaber....no really I'm not kidding

Default I'm building a lightsaber....no really I'm not kidding

Hello All,

I introduced myself recently and the discussion turned to the strange reactions I got when I said "I'm building a lightsaber". We had a few examples that were kind of entertaining so I thought I would open this up as a discussion. If anyone has some entertaining stories to tell about how people react when you tell them about this hobby, I would love to here them.

Recently, I was told I am such a dork....by one of my dorky friends. Have I achieved a new level of Dorkyness? Am I over 9000 yet?

"Post inspired by brett"
    Last edited by Draygo; 05-08-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Only Goku is over 9000!
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

For me, I get one of two different responses when I tell people I build lightsabers as a hobby. It's either, "What, like a REAL one? Does it cut stuff?" or else it's "Cool! How much would it be for you to build me one too? ...oh. Nevermind."
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I second SS response lol
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Most people don't realize these toys of ours exist. When you tell someone your "building a lightsaber" they only think of what they saw in the movies, a lazer sword that can cut thru anything. Diehard SW fans will probably know what your talking about. Regular fans, not so much. I tell people I build "replica lightsabers". This stops the automatic "is it real, can it cut..." questions. I ten explain, briefly, what these toys of ours are used for, what's available, etc. I also give price examples so no one is too surprised.

haha i get the same responses as SS usually. my other favorite ones are when you're telling someone who is very interested and the random people that are around listening in on the conversation just kind of look at you like you're crazy.
    Jhadious Aran

Same reponses here...and i just love the totally unrelated jabs at you whenever your friends or workmates are poking fun at you....'You could cut it with your lasersword haha' or 'watch it, he will cut you with his lightsaber haahaa' etc etc etc....it could be worse though..everyone could be making them

A few of my friends thought it was a cool idea. On the other hand, the majority of people call me a dork
    Last edited by Evilpancreas; 05-09-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draygo View Post
    Recently, I was told I am such a dork....by one of my dorky friends. Have I achieved a new level of Dorkyness? Am I over 9000 yet?
    Actually, you weren't quite there yet. Then you made a Dragonball Z reference in an online forum devoted to Star Wars props, and that's what nudged you past 9000. Congratulations!

Most of the people I've told about my saber-building are as big of geeks as I am; so I just got confused, uncertain looks, followed by squeals of joy when they actually saw the finished product. Despite what they may say, 99% of people under the age of 45 are geeks nowadays. Some of us are just more open about it!
    Boring conversation anyway...

That is true cartman...everyone wants to play with them when they see them.....even the people that had the biggest laughs at you get that look on their face like they almost remember having an imagination lol