Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PC-L and Battery set-up in v-groove extension

Bit it is definitely a voltage it can run at. 7.4v really only serves to boost the volume
    It's all about what you can fit.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

but you make a stick pack out of 2 18650's and you should be golden
    Yub Yub Commander.

this is the same issue i was trying to solve.
    I'm going to use the 14500 inline pack, PC-2.0, and mount them on a chassis rack

would show pics but i haven't received the parts yet,
    taking there time to get to Bahrain

Elim, that sounds very similar to what I was planning to do, except I was hoping to use the 14500 side-by-side pack. My concern is that both of these packs only put out 800 mA, while the PC manual seems to suggest much more is needed. I'd hate to have to sacrifice so much space to the 4-cell pack... Thoughts?

"The board must be powered with an appropriate battery pack. We highly recommend the use of good quality li-ion battery packs made of 14500 or 18650 cells and including protection PCBs. The AW brand makes superior quality batteries while the Ultrafire remains a cost effective solution.....A 2-cell li-ion will provide a nominal voltage of 7.4V to the board. The board isn’t compatible with a 3-cell solution without some modifications of the electronics.
    Ni-MH battery packs are simply not recommended since they have a bigger energy storage/volume ratio and cost of li-ion cells isn’t an issue anymore."-from the PC manual.

I don't think it would make that much of a difference, but then again I'm not as tech savvy as others.

I dont know if its any help, but I took a 2x AA battery holder, and cut out the centre part that separates the two batteries. That way it fits into the part (like Obi-dar's second picture above), with the PC-l on top. It does weaken the battery holder a bit though, and there's not a lot of room for the heat to dissipate.
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/As...s/STLIPACK.jpg

this is the battery i intend to use.

Quote Originally Posted by cshaley View Post
    Elim, that sounds very similar to what I was planning to do, except I was hoping to use the 14500 side-by-side pack. My concern is that both of these packs only put out 800 mA, while the PC manual seems to suggest much more is needed. I'd hate to have to sacrifice so much space to the 4-cell pack... Thoughts?
    Don't confuse the 800mAh rating with the actual load capacity of the 14500 cells. The rating on the pack is a measurement of TIME, not load capacity ("10 miles is not the same as 10 miles per hour" - Novastar), meaning the pack will deliver 1A of current for .8 hours. you can still pull 2A out of them, but all it will do is shorten the run time. As far as fitment is concerned, the PC 2.0 will fit in a ribbed extension on top of the 14500 side-by-side pack, but if must be mounted so that the SD card holder is off the end of the pack (overhanging the edge) to do it.

The stick pack has more room to mount the PC 2.0 on top, but is too long to fit directly inside the ribbed extensions, and will protrude into the next section of the hilt. Keep in mind when you are planning out the space inside your saber that there is a copper heatsink that will be taking up space near your emitter.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

i have planed this out while reading a lot of threads. the PC will be mounted in the rear section
    with the batt., so no issue with the heatsink.

I've read a lot of your threads, Master Jinn, and I'm really impressed by the things I've discovered.

advice to others, read, read, read........measure twice cut once.

Thanks, Jay-Gon. I make guitars as a hobby, so I'm quite comfortable with soldering lots of components in confined spaces, but understanding battery values is new territory for me. I appreciate the clarification.