Thread: Darth Maul MR Sound Board Wiring?

Default Darth Maul MR Sound Board Wiring?

Hey guys
    I recently bought a Darth Maul MR Soundboard off eBay
    It arrived and (as I was told) it's not got a battery pack or speaker attached.
    It has everything you see in the pictures, but I'm wondering what rating of speaker to use, how many batteries, and what wires to put together?
    Also this'll be put into a saber hilt with a 37mm Inside Diameter.
    And I'm not wanting it for light, just for sound
    DSC05953.jpgDSC05956.jpgDSC05957.jpg
    Last edited by Padawan_Ra'Zen; 03-31-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Padawan_Ra'Zen View Post
    Hey guys
    I recently bought a Darth Maul MR Soundboard off eBay
    It arrived and (as I was told) it's not got a battery pack or speaker attached.
    It has everything you see in the pictures, but I'm wondering what rating of speaker to use, how many batteries, and what wires to put together?
    Also this'll be put into a saber hilt with a 37mm Inside Diameter.
    And I'm not wanting it for light, just for sound
    DSC05953.jpgDSC05956.jpgDSC05957.jpg
    The speaker in the store here will work fine with that. They came with what I believe was a 1/2watt, 8ohm speaker originally, and will work with any 8ohm speaker with 1/2watt or better rating. As far as batteries go, those boards can handle up to 6volts, so yoiu can use pretty much anything you want. A single 3.7v Li-Ion will work, along with 3 or four NiMH or alkaline. The best way to determine your battery source is to look at what you need for your led, and how you plan to drive it.

to get power to the board, you'll have to open the case. The wires are simple....red is the battery and speaker positive, black is the battery negative, and brown is the speaker negative. The blue wire on the clash sensor needs to be attached to the led string positive, which on that board is the purple wire in the bundle hanging out the end of the case. I have an old diagram I made about about four years ago for one of these boards:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The speaker in the store here will work fine with that. They came with what I believe was a 1/2watt, 8ohm speaker originally, and will work with any 8ohm speaker with 1/2watt or better rating. As far as batteries go, those boards can handle up to 6volts, so yoiu can use pretty much anything you want. A single 3.7v Li-Ion will work, along with 3 or four NiMH or alkaline. The best way to determine your battery source is to look at what you need for your led, and how you plan to drive it.

to get power to the board, you'll have to open the case. The wires are simple....red is the battery and speaker positive, black is the battery negative, and brown is the speaker negative. The blue wire on the clash sensor needs to be attached to the led string positive, which on that board is the purple wire in the bundle hanging out the end of the case. I have an old diagram I made about about four years ago for one of these boards:
    Excellent!! Thanks so much
    Now, how do I go about opening this puppy up? (I really just don't want to go and damage anything)

Are you wanting to reuse this in the maul saber, then? The way I've managed to get them apart without totally destroying the housing was to use a pair of diagonal cutting pliers (or wire cutting pliers, some people call them) and clip the the housing apart right at the seam on the end where the wires are coming out. That usually pops open the seam along the entire side of the housing. Getting it apart at the battery interface is a little trickier....it depends on how the glue was applied, but it can usually be pried apart without too mush breakage. Like this:

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Are you wanting to reuse this in the maul saber, then? The way I've managed to get them apart without totally destroying the housing was to use a pair of diagonal cutting pliers (or wire cutting pliers, some people call them) and clip the the housing apart right at the seam on the end where the wires are coming out. That usually pops open the seam along the entire side of the housing. Getting it apart at the battery interface is a little trickier....it depends on how the glue was applied, but it can usually be pried apart without too mush breakage. Like this:

Excellent thanks!!! And nah, it's for a custom saber I'm making
    I just really didn't wanna go in all guns blazing and potentially damage the circuit board is all