Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: slothfurnace's TOR Consular saber

awesome build and very inspirational as always

I don't know how I missed this thread. I'm just stunned by your work. This saber's wonderfull

Hi all! Was lurking and decided I needed to register.

On the pattern, a good method similar to what others have mentioned would be the etching.
    What you could do is a digital image of the pattern, and then find an automotive decal shop. Have them cut the image or stencil, depending on if you want a positive or negative. You'd then apply this and mask off everything else in a similar method and submerge it in an etchant. There's a few, as someone said you could go with salt water and electricity. Other simpler options would be something like muriatic acid or ferric chloride. I'd do up a test run and use the ferric as it's relatively safe. I use it in etching damascus knife blades and it etches hardened steel quite nicely. And that's even dilluted typically at 4:1 with water being the 4. You can take it out and check your depth, and just put it back in if you're not satisfied.

I'd asked how the blades were etched in Lord of the Rings, this was how they did their patterns. PVC decal and an acid etchant.

Fantastic job on the saber =]

A pattern welded lightsaber hilt would just boggle ones mind.

(On an additional note, you can sometimes get Ferric at Radio Shack sold as PCB/Archer's Printer Circuit Board Etchant. It can also be found on ebay in crystal form you mix with water.)

I just finally got around to signing up myself and I've been following this on and off for a while. I am so very impressed by your work sloth. Watching this come along has been a huge inspiration for me. Keep it up!!

Just have to say that the hilt design really inspires me. The scrollwork that you want to attempt is a perfect expression of the 'more civilized' age of the Old Republic, and reflects that sabers were as much an art form as a weapon. Saber designs like this ( and the LOTR inspired saber I saw on the forum, way cool!) are just down right awesome (and intimidating to us less skilled builders.)

I have been lurking here for a while, and have really enjoyed reading about this hobby and seeing so many great saber builds. But, although many designs are great, they generally tend to very straightforward designs, with IMO very little artistic flair and seem mostly utilitarian to me. I think more designs like this, that push the art and decorative side of the hobby should be encouraged.Think of it as a plain old .38 snub nose pistol vs. one of the beautiful Navy Colt revolvers from the late 1800's with the gold inlay.

Keep up the great work! It gives everyone something to aspire to in this hobby.
    MR ROTS Anakin
    MR AOTC Mace Windu
    MR ANH Darth Vader
    MR ROTJ Luke Skywalker
    MHS Custom Lux III green US 2.5

This is inspired me to work on a saber staff in a similar fashion myself, but after looking through your build here and at your personal website I'm still unclear as to where exactly the sound comes from. I was thinking about the double male with slots piece for sound on mine but it just doesn't look quite right with the fins on my design. I saw the sound chamber but I can't figure out how it gets out can you elaborate a little more, or are they trade secrets?

Also, what is the length of the hilt without blades?

My first post here, but your work is what makes people want to do this. Looking forward to putting something together that I can post.

A little update...

Thanks Tim!

This is much progress on the scrollwork. Very impressed with Tim's new laser. We'll see how close we can get to the actual color and finish of the saber in the trailer. For now, this is where it's at. More to come as things progress, but I am very happy with the result.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Wow, that looks amazing! Does this mean we can look forward to Custom Laser Engraving getting added to the shop services?