Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drill tapping?

Default Drill tapping?

Hey guys, I had been attempting to drill and tap my own blade retention holes on my style 12 blade holder, but I must admit I'm quite terrible at it. Since I'm going to replace the blade holder altogether for a start over, how many holes should I make to keep the blade stable and should I just get the shop service I didn't see last time?

Also any experiences relating to this would be awesome.

Most people only use one single blade retention screw as far up on the blade as possible
    -Sidd-

As long as you have the proper diameter blade. All you need is one screw...Sidd is right, keep it far up for better stability....If you're worried about tapping it yourself, just use the tapping service. But keep practicing at home. Use scraps of metal and just drill in some holes and tap them all...You'll get the hang of it.

Cool, thanks guys. I had been practicing on scrap metal and thought I had a pretty good grasp of it but when I went and did it on my holder I screwed it up (Pun not intended). I'll just get the shop service, which I would have done in the first place had I seen it.

Keep practicing on the now "scrap" BH. Honestly, I still am not an expert at putting it exactly line up with say a switch or something like that.
    Yub Yub Commander.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Mostly the issue is in drilling the wrong size hole.. just drill straight down and back out.. dont wobble or well it out because that affects the depth of the threads your able to cut. use a thread tapping lubricant on the tap and go slowly backing out about 4 or 5 times then thread the tap to its base to ensure a true thread path.

IF your going to replace that old bh just practice on it a few times that way your more familiar with the material.. but you can do it, I have faith in you!

Oooo yeah how to line up your holes.. well measure thrice(not twice) and use your graphing paper(you can print it out free online)

How long does the Drill and Tap hole service take?

I missed the drill/tap service as well. I drilled and tapped my BRS myself with an 8/32 tap I picked up at Ace Hardware. I also had to drill out for my Box #9 holes as well. I borrowed a drill press from a friend but wound up using my Dremel instead. Put a few layers of masking tape around the area to be drilled to help protect the surrounding area.

just a quick question for all of you: do you have to have the drill tap thing, or can you use the tungsten drill accessory for the dremel?