Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: O.D. vs. I.D.

another thing that might work, (i saw it in a vid on youtube, i think it was in one of the starkiller vids from Judge SaberSmith) take a small section of a polycarbonate blade, and use a bit of tape to make an outer cradle for the sound board to keep it from grounding out... i think he used a 2-AAA battery holder to make the main chassis for the soundboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Raith View Post
    another thing that might work, (i saw it in a vid on youtube, i think it was in one of the starkiller vids from Judge SaberSmith) take a small section of a polycarbonate blade, and use a bit of tape to make an outer cradle for the sound board to keep it from grounding out... i think he used a 2-AAA battery holder to make the main chassis for the soundboard.
    JudgeSabersmith is my other name on other forums. It wasn't polycarbonate blade material I used. It was a polycarbonate tube used to protect large fluorescent lamps. I cut 3" long sections of it, split it down the middle, wrapped it around the soundboard and cradle, and slid it into the saber. Works great.

Correct that I used a 2AAA battery holder as the chassis. I drilled out the rivets holding the springs and wires. This gave me holes to run my wires through to keep everything neat and tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post
    JudgeSabersmith is my other name on other forums. It wasn't polycarbonate blade material I used. It was a polycarbonate tube used to protect large fluorescent lamps. I cut 3" long sections of it, split it down the middle, wrapped it around the soundboard and cradle, and slid it into the saber. Works great.

Correct that I used a 2AAA battery holder as the chassis. I drilled out the rivets holding the springs and wires. This gave me holes to run my wires through to keep everything neat and tidy.
    Thanks for the clarification, Jonitus. Now it's stupid question time. You refer to a "cradle" and a "chassis." Elsewhere I've seen references to "sleds". Are these all different things, and if so, what exactly are they? What did the chassis made from the battery case hold?

Finally, do you have a part number or URL for the polycarbonate tubes you use? I seem to remember coming across such things when I was searching for something else entirely.

I hope this isn't too off-topic. It seems to me that one reason people want to know the inner diameter of MHS parts is precisely to figure out what kind of tubes and pipes would fit snugly into them. Thanks again.

EDIT: Would I be correct in thinking you are using sleeves made for T8-sized fluorescent lamps, like these?
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 10-05-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonitus View Post

my bad. i got part of it right at least... lol
    btw, the starkiller set looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Jonitus. Now it's stupid question time. You refer to a "cradle" and a "chassis." Elsewhere I've seen references to "sleds". Are these all different things, and if so, what exactly are they? What did the chassis made from the battery case hold?

Finally, do you have a part number or URL for the polycarbonate tubes you use? I seem to remember coming across such things when I was searching for something else entirely.

I hope this isn't too off-topic. It seems to me that one reason people want to know the inner diameter of MHS parts is precisely to figure out what kind of tubes and pipes would fit snugly into them. Thanks again.

EDIT: Would I be correct in thinking you are using sleeves made for T8-sized fluorescent lamps, like these?
    For what I was doing with the Starkillers I built, chassis = sled = cradle. I used the terms interchangeably, but the function was the same - to hold the soundboard and give me a place to "hide" wiring. The battery case was used just because it was small, and had holes I could run wires through so they were protected and not hanging out to possibly get nicked, pinched or cut when they were getting installed.

Correct for the sleeves used to protect fluorescent lamps. That's what I used. One tube is long enough to make many, many, many sleeves like the ones I made.

Thanks, Jonitus. Just a couple of hours ago I had a "Doh" moment when I thought, "Maybe I'll try a film case, though I think it will be too loose." It fits perfectly. Film cases are what I used in my very first saber more than a year ago, and I remembered them being loose because it was a 1.5" sinktube saber. So, for the record, 35mm film cases (with an outer diameter of 31mm) are perfect for making sleds/cradles/chassis in standard MHS parts.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    Basically anything you need to know about the MHS can be found in this thread...
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=2031

I have a question regarding the OD of the double male coupler. The specs on the site list the ID, but not the OD (the thread you linked to does not make it obvious what the OD is either). I assume it is machined from the same stock and would have an OD of 1.45" like the rest of the main body parts, but the MHS builder shows that it has a slightly larger OD. Is this the case or is it something intended to create a contrast between parts on the MHS builder?

edit - hmmm, I just noticed that some of the double mail couplers are now matching up with the OD of the rest of the parts. Must be something in the builder. So I guess this answers my question.
    Last edited by boshuda21; 01-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i never noticed a difference in the sizes like that. the double male coupler SHOULD have the same OD as normal MHS parts...
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

what about blade holder ID's? What is it? Are they all the same?

Blade holders are made to hold a 1" OD blade snuggly. So by simple deduction ID of any of the standard blade holders is 1".

The only ones that would be different are the ones that specifically say they are for 3/4" or whatever.