Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leather handle wrap help

Question Leather handle wrap help

Hey all,

While working on designing a new saber the wife said cutey "build me one", so I had to oblige. However I've been having some issues finding the handle wrap I'd like to use.

I've done some forum searches and couldn't find much on the subject.

What I'd like to find is some real leather handle wrap (Tsuka Ito) from s US source so I can do a traditional twist wrapping. I've found the cotton type over here, but the only place I can find a source of the leather kind is out of Japan, and the shipping is killer

I've been thinking about going to the fashion district, but my gut says any leather from there will either be too short, too think or cut to wide.

Anyone have a secret online source?

Here's a comp of what I'm planning to do;
    MHS-Saber3.0-Siren.jpg

Thanks!

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Have you checked Tandy Leather yet? Also, check with Jedi-Loreen as she works leather. She may have another source or two.
    Unless I'm off in estimation, you'd want Finished upholstery split or glove weight.
    Last edited by Boj-Vaati Mau; 07-03-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I would suggest Tandy as well. How wide are you wanting each individual strip? You may have to buy a sheet of leather + a leather strap making tool if you want the strips wider than 1/8" or 3/32"

You're going to basically want something garment or upholstery weight, because even a lot of chrome tanned you can get from Tandy will probably be too thick. One cheap way to get the leather you need would be to hit thrift shops and look for a jacket, bags, old furniture etc that you can cannibalize the leather from. Tandy is really expensive and leather prices have been going up dramatically in the last year.

You also don't NEED a strap cutter, though they are handy to have. You can use a cutting mat or some surface you don't care about, a yard stick and a box cutter.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

If your not dead set on leather, Ito - Silk cord used to bind the tsuka (hilt) on a Katana, would look nice, and easier to find and use.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've been checking out the silk and cotton Ito which could work too if I run out of options.

Nice suggestion of the thrift stores. I didn't even think of going that route, if I could find something thin enough that might work. Would just have to make sure I didn't snap it when trying a tight wrap.

I did take a look at Tandy a while back, didn't see anything that would work though. It all looked like tough stuff.

I ordered half the parts this weekend to get started, should be fun.

When I did my rahm kota lightsaber I found the leather on ebay. You may want to look into it, they have some just for sword hilts.

Just a suggestion, since you may not have thought about it yet, but try a saddle shop! I live in Wyoming and we have saddle shops on every corner of every street. However, if you're not in a place to find a saddlery shop, then you can do a search for them online. The silk would be my suggestion too, as it fits the oriental style you seek. However, if you're set on leather, every saddle shop I know sells supplies for the die-hards who make their own saddles. Thus, you'll find various widths and qualities of leather, and strapping and such as well...

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

You can sometimes get decent sized scraps from ebay, Tandy or other leather sellers too. Tandy sells upholstery leather remnant bags but they also have it by the square foot on their website. Most of the time saddlery shops carry leather that's too heavy for what you're making. You can get faux leather from Wal mart now, and it and the thrift store type stuff you can usually sew with a machine just like regular fabric. Tandy has some good deals on garment weight leather right now though. I just checked their website and they have black garment weight leather on sale for $3.19 a square foot. In case you weren't sure what the ounces means, an ounce is as a general rule 1/16" thick.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...r/9114-01.aspx

Cut the strips off of a jacket! No. I'm kidding, of course. When I made my Jedi robes, I got the leather for the belt & boot-straps from Tandy. They're great.