Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dreycon Dell Lightsaber with Sound Completed

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    Well, I am not IG-88 but I do have some tips you can use...
    First off, It looks like the main hilt piece is 7" correct? If so, I would argue it isn't cram-fu to the highest level, Because I have fit everything you just mentioned into 4" of 1 1/4" sinktube...

One way you could save space is by "stacking" components. For example, Your buckpuck, and soundcard can be stacked on top of each other and secured in heatshrink. That would take about 1" lengthwise in your hilt. 6" left...
    Your switch, you can't do much about, however, you could mount your speaker between that little bit of free space between the switch and the choke. It would provide plenty of resonance, and protect it if you ever had to open your hilt up. so now,,, let's say 5" left.
    Now all you have left to work with is your batts (1.5") and your recharge port. (.5"). That would leave you, in theory, with a wopping 3" of space left in your hilt...
    Yeah, what CC said. Also, if you did use li-ions, that can replace all of your batteries with a single cell. Then, you have a ton of room to work with. You are using up alot of space with battery holders when you use those. I am not trying to cut you down or anything, I like the hilt and am glad you got everything in there as you did. I was just saying that it could be done with less space.
    Formerly known as Polarcupz

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Nice hilt. The first thing I notice about the blade brightness is that it's not very even and that may be part of your brightness issue as well since the base does appear reasonably bright. What are you using for a blade? Maybe some poly propylene would help even it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Lol, cc, that blue part isn't the emitter/blade holder, it's a piece of blade tubing from a Hasbro saber.

Though, from that pic, it doesn't look like it actually fits inside the choke, just into the end.
    The one with the blue isn't my actual saber; it doesn't light up. That's the one that I ordered in "jollipop copper orange" and hated the color -- I was just showing the color as a matter of interest. I ended up ordering a new choke, main hilt, and pommel, with the choke and pommel in "copper vein". The first three pictures are my actual saber The blue is the blade from the Hasbro Obi-Wan saber I took the sound card from. I gave this one to my kids. The blade fits perfectly all the way down to the bottom of the threads in end -- it just screws right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Nice hilt. The first thing I notice about the blade brightness is that it's not very even and that may be part of your brightness issue as well since the base does appear reasonably bright. What are you using for a blade? Maybe some poly propylene would help even it out.
    I'm using a Corbin battle blade from the store, so it does have the material inside. I do like the "core" effect, but I wonder if I'm sacrificing the evenness of the brightness by not using the TCSS blade. Has anyone compared them?

Thanks again for the suggestions on cramming -- I'll definitely take those to heart for the next one I build!

Best regards,
    Kilo
    Last edited by Kilo; 02-01-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

If you add a few feet of clear gift wrap, you'll sacrifice some of the coring effect, but it will even out the blade. I've done that with my 2 Corbin blades.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!