Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1x 3.7v Li-Ion or 3 AA Ni-MH??

Thanks again for all you help!

I have all my saber guts wired up and working like a charm in a testing layout. I am going with 4AA NiMH 2500mAh with a kill switch recharge port setup. Blade wont be here until thursday/friday but it is a Corbin Show quad wrap. I am using eastern57's lighthound momentary-to-latching switch mod. MR FX Anakin 2005 sound with TCSS premium speaker and a rebel green led with 10 degree optics.
    never built anything like this before. Only every soldered a couple of bad pin connections on a hard drive hotswap bay.
    Now to finalize a hilt design that will work with the parts I have available to me.
    Never used a dremel before so this should be interesting. Luckily I am a quick learner.
    Last edited by Rathan; 05-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Cool man...looking forward to seeing this setup.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

LDM, I saw that you said 7.4 set up would reqire a 6v Regulator. If I wanted to run a Blue P4, with sound board (cheapy Hasbro Obi-wan) could I do that with 2 AA size batteries that are (lit ion? or NiMH?) 3.7v?
    In doing so would I use the 6v regulator, or could I use the 5v regulator because its wired to the sound board?
    Plus the Tenergy AA size battery that Tim carries, would fit in a normal battery pack, correct?
    If that was the case I could cut down a ton of space in my hilt.
    Last edited by Noyl Wendor; 05-30-2010 at 09:37 PM.

The 3.7V batteries that are in the store are li-ion. 2 of them would be 7.4V (around 8.4V when fully charged).
    The Tenergy AA's are 1.2V NiMH. They are the same size as regular AA's.
    I hope this helps clear things up.
    Good luck with the build. I can't wait to see the finished saber.

There is a simple math formula for Saber names.-----------------------To check out the sound fonts I've made:
    ((Force-Dark Side)xEnglish^awesome)/Force)xLanguage[X].---------http://www.youtube.com/user/DarthXusia1/videos
    Quote from mihunai----------------------------------------------------------If you are interested in any of them, please PM me.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Also keep in mind that the more voltage over the regulated voltage (from the voltage regulator) you use the more heat it will generate and you may need additional heat sinking. You can go with 4 AAA NiMH (4.8V @ 1000 mAh) with the economy board and not have to use a voltage regulator. They will fit in the normal 4 AAA battery holder. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4A...lder-P133.aspx

One way to think about the difference between the rechargable batteries is the Li-Ions will always give you more VOLTAGE and the NiMH will always give you more MAH for the same size battery.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Okay cool. That does clear things up.
    Upon thinking of it I may stick with my usual P4 set up, with 6v. I just like it . But using those NiMH in a 4AAA pack would do the same as a regular set of store boughts.
    I'm not too sure about graduating into an in hilt recharging system. Plus the 4 AAA battery holder affords me the ability to have a good base for my interior chassis.
    As for the power set up I have seen in anouther thread here that if you go to 6v, a 5v regulator is all you need for the cheapy Obi-wan board.
    I figure go simple, between building the chassis and then wiriring a cheapy board I may already have my hands full.
    Thanks for the help.
    BTW I will post the work in the gallery when I get the chance, I wanted to do a documentation of it all any way.

http://www.all-battery.com/productim...ah-11002-1.jpg

Here's a battery set up I thought may be interesting for this subject. May work for the same sort of set up.

If thats 4AA then it won't fit inside MHS IIRC.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

29x20x50 mm. So possibly not :0 . Of course this would be a good alternitive for something non-MHS.
    You never know.

Now AAA, THAT would make me pass out.... those WOULD fit in MHS

*edit*

Think i found a good alternative, *runs off to email Tim*
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 07-13-2010 at 06:40 AM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~