Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RGB LED help

You would need to use the 1 watt pots and make sure they are the linear taper and not the audio taper.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Thanks Do-Clo, that cleared up all of my questions.

if you cant find 500 ohm 1 watt pots mouser has some 1k ohm 1 watt ones. you can either use those as is and it will just dim faster, as in 1 degree turn will dim it about twice as much on the 1k compared to the 500. but if you put 1 1k ohm resistor in parallel with it it will take on a logrithmic curve but have a max of 500 ohm. and the curve is not stong at all. thats what i will be doing as soon as i stop being lazy.

link to pot

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand..._pcodeid=59400

hmmm hmmmm whooosh hmmmm whooosh crackel

Do you think you could show me some sort of wiring diagram for what you are talking about? I'm not quite sure I understand how to wire in a resistor in parallel. If I didn't use the resistor and just wired it in as is would that be a series circuit?[?]

Oh boy! I'm chesterfield too. Are you part of the group from the pizza place last night? My dumb butt got the night wrong and thought it was tonight.

Anywho, back to work[]

What meiv is saying is run a resistor across the pot, it doesn't change the rest of the setup just the impedence of the pot so you are still getting the 500 ohms. I know it seems confusing but it's one of those things that you just pick up in time and practice.

<center></center>

You will only use one resistor as the RGB uses a common power with seperate grounds.

Also if you use a MR board you don't need any resistors.

do not listen to his dark side lies. since they have diffrent power requirements they require diffrent resistances... and having separate ones on and off would also change the needed resistance, so you cant use just one.

hmmm hmmmm whooosh hmmmm whooosh crackel

Thanks for all of the help guys. I didn't make it to the pizza place james, though I did think about it. I ended up having to work, it is nice knowing there are some other star war aficionados out here though. As far as the pots go I am lost again. After looking at some at radio shack, they all have 3 conections, so which connector would I need to hook the resistor to? I'm assuming the connections are power in, power out, and ground. I think I understand know. Assuming connection 1 is power in, connection 2 is out, connection 3 is ground; would I take the resistor and connect it from connection 1 to connection 2?

I take it your close to me. I'll pm ya so you can come by my shop and see one work. That is if your from the chesterfield Va. area.