Thread: Newbie in search of a hero.

Default Newbie in search of a hero.

Hi folks.

I am new to saber culture and, although I bought my first saber in 2005 (MR ESB Vader), never realized just how big it all is. I also never knew to check for these forums in my decision to buy a dueling saber.

You probably guessed it. I bought a Saberforge.

Staunch Defender to be exact. It runs a seoul p4 green led and a Saberforge 1.0 soundcard. I must admit, once it was finally what I asked for (please, let's not remember that!) I loved it.

A few weeks later, the positive wire from the battery pak (4 AAA) came away from the soundcard. Folks, I have no wiring or electrical skill whatsoever, so I asked Saberforge if he could tell me how to fix it. I even found the guy on Facebook and no response!

I have taken it apart to see if I can rebuild it, and I could use all the help I can get. Has anyone ever rebuilt his so-called "work"?

Help me TCSS, you're my only hope.

-Smokiewan Hempomy
    Last edited by smokiewan; 12-18-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Saberforge is a member on here, but he hasn't been around much recently. For some customers, his communication has been spotty, not so for others.

Check the sabersound forum, there's a thread he originally started for the sabersound board, and there's a diagram for the board. If its just the wire that's come loose off the board, you can easily resolder it yourself by referring to the diagram. Its not something you'd need to pay someone to fix.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Panda is correct. Welcome to the forums! Btw read until your eyes hurt.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Quote Originally Posted by $tarkiller View Post
    Btw read until your eyes hurt.

And then read a little more.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

His eyes are probably already red.

What with that name of his.

Also, what you're asking is considered soliciting and not allowed on this Forum that's attached to a Store. If you do some reading, and looking through the gallery, I'm sure you'll find someone who can help you and you can try contacting them directly.

If getting your board fixed is all you want, then this is probably not the place for you, since it's a DIY saber place. If you are only interested in getting someone to fix your board/wiring, then you might want to check out the saber smiths at this forum, where you can sign up and ask openly about someone fixing your problem with your saber.
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/

If you are interested in learning about custom sabers and how to make them, then stick around, do some reading, learn, and have fun.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 12-18-2009 at 12:29 AM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Read until my eyes bleed..... gotcha. Thanks everyone for the friendly advice and also for the warnings about soliciting. I had no idea, but at least now my compass is pointing a bit truer.

And like the melody, I only have (red) eyes for you Loreen

On a side note. I'm in school taking a woodworking course and it has just recently crossed my mind to start turning out hilts made of hardwoods like rosewood, purpleheart or padauk. Has anyone tried making their hilt out of wood before?
    Last edited by smokiewan; 12-18-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Try Using the search Function to find what you need to read?

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=wood

Quote Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
    Try Using the search Function to find what you need to read?

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=wood
    Gotcha. I guess looking with my eyes open helps.

IMHO..if SaberForge was allowed to 'post/advertise' here.. then people shoudl be allowed to ask for help here...

(but as J-Lo said..if your looking to HIRE someone to do it for you.. go to the other forums and seek out a freelancer smith)

The good news...this is NOT ABIG DEAL for you.

a wire that popped off has happened to EVERYONE (really)..

my suggestions are this:

1.) go to www.plecterlabs.com and watch the HOW TO SOLDER video.. (its great..and the tip/trick of tinning both ends before final soldering is GREAT, and sorely overlooked by many)

2.) Get a soldering pen/iron (cheap at your local Radio Shack...get a FINE tip..and even FINER guage solder

3.) (very important).. post pictures of the board.. close, clear..and several angles..

you will get your needed advice and be up and running ASAP!..

This happened to my Ultrasound 2.5 board actually, on both the positive AND the negative wires attached to the board. I'm not familiar with the Sabersound board, but if there are actual holes on the board from which the wires came, it isn't actually that hard to fix. If there are actual little solder pads and no holes on the Sabersound board, check to make sure that the pad didn't get ripped off with the wire. If it did, you may be SOL. Let's assume that it DIDN'T get ripped off or that there ARE holes for the wires: Restrip the respective wires (not too much, just enough to fit in the hole), and drop a little bit of solder onto the contact. Make sure you haven't made any solder bridges (connections between different points) that might fry your board. Give each new solder connection a little tug and make sure that it is secure. Voila, fixed. Should take you no time at all, but make sure that you take your time. It's not worth rushing. And as someone else posted, get a nice sharp soldering tip and very thing gauge solder to work with. Radio Shack is your friend.