Thread: "Young Knight" 1.5 Sinktube Saber

Default "Young Knight" 1.5 Sinktube Saber

Here is the next saber in my "gotta get them all done for Christmas" push. The saber is going to be a gift to my 14 year old cousin.

This saber is based off of a 1.5 sink tube.

parts include a Hasbro cheepo soundboard from a "Duel action lightsaber" like this Duel action saber.

This soundboard is a little different from the regular cheep hasbro boards. It has no real swing sensor but makes swing noises on light clash motions. The blade DOES NOT flash on clash or flash on start up. The board has 3 different outputs to LED's one flashes on clash the other two do not. I cut off the one that flashes and then hooked the other two to a 3v reed relay. I fought with the relay a bit because its original position put it too close to the magnet of the speaker and that made it function oddly (no surprise once I figured out what was causing it) after a bit of a redesign I got it working. The saber is not very loud but the sounds are okay and like I said no flash on clash.

The body of the saber is a 1.5 sink tube the front end has a MHS 1.5 sink tube adapter and an MHS blade holder. I then made the grip out of the craft foam underneath of large heat shrink. The cover plates were cut from the sleeve material that Tim sells here in the shop. The bottom is a TCSS endcap that I modified with the drill press.

The saber uses a 4.8v NiMh in hilt rechargeable battery pack and a top mounted recharge / kill port.

LED is a blue P4 attached to a 1000MA buck puck.

The blade is a 32 inch thin walled blade with one of Tim's diffusers and about 4 feet of gift wrap.

Last edited by Jagahati; 12-08-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

The beatings will continue until morale improves. -KMFDM "Free your hate"

Not bad, I woulda went with 1.25 sinktube for the smaller hands.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

The other one I made was for smaller hands and it was a 1.25.

We grow big kids in my family so even though he is 14 he is 5'9 and probably weighs 160lbs.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. -Jim Horning

Well I am sure he will love it.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Good looking saber. I like how much you're crakin them out. Good work!
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Banned Sith Lord

very nice wiring work. he will go crazy with it. and probably take it to school i know i would. wait i do!

If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your heat shrink? I am already aware of cableorganizer.com and I'm putting in an order right now, I'm just interested in other sources.
    Last edited by Count Zero; 12-15-2009 at 02:02 PM.

I use the 2inch non-adhesive variety from the site you mentioned.

Thanks, good to hear that I will be using the same stuff. I really like the look of it on your saber.