Thread: custom billet shroud CPI

Default custom billet shroud CPI

Hello sabersmiths,
    Here is some pics of a shroud that I machined for my existing saber. Ever since I heard of Erv's Buttered Toast, I was just unhappy with my direct drive Lux V green. So I've been doing some CPI(Continuous Process Improvement). Anyway, I still have some work to do with it all ie polishing. It was a very difficult set up in the mill but came out ok. I sort of crushed it alittle so i have to bend it back to make it fit the saber. It doesn't go all the way on yet. And I picked out the wrong chunk of alluminum (T4 instead of T6), so it was impossible to get a smooth bore even with my 1" solid carbide bar, but luckily the milling of the profiles gave me a decent finish. It took an hour and a half to run the mill program on the OD profile with a 4" long endmill. but thats a decent time. still plan to anodize and powdercoat things in the future but my next project is to make a sliding door on the OD of the bottom half of the hilt so that when i Finally get my hands on a CF board, I will be able to slide it back to access the SD card and battery pack if need be. Wish me luck.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally got it to fit all the way.
    Last edited by infa008; 12-12-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Very nice!

Cool.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Looking good so far.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

There's a half-naked child in one of those pictures.....Aside from that though cool idea. How'd you get such a clean cut on that?
    I'm Gonna Ride My Krayt Dragon To Valhalla!

Default ...

Oh my god, its the kid from The Grudge! XD Cool saber though. I have that same blade holder with my US MHS hilt.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MakillaGorilla View Post
    There's a half-naked child in one of those pictures.....Aside from that though cool idea. How'd you get such a clean cut on that?
    sorry my daughter snuk in there.

as for the clean cut. all of the OD profile is one continuous cut programed into a CNC and programmed through mastercam. I had it chucked up vertically and made the the profile cut all the way around at .100" per cut until 3.500" deep and then stepped the cutter compensation in .005" and made one final pass at the full 3.5" depth. then I ball nosed a groove in the top and drilled 4 holes to let some light peep through. Oh and I used a brand new 1.5" X 4" 6 flute endmill.

The blade holder and all I machined myself out of solid round stock. the blade holder is solid brass, I got the idea for it from one that I saw but I added the ball nose flutes for a unique flair.
    Last edited by infa008; 12-11-2009 at 12:19 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by jedimastergarcia87 View Post
    I have that same blade holder with my US MHS hilt.
    Uh, no, you don't.

Similar, but not the same.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!