Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Blue tooth reciever for sound

what if you were putting on a show/play/exhibit.. and wanted to broadcast the sound to speakers so the audience can hear it too?

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    what if you were putting on a show/play/exhibit.. and wanted to broadcast the sound to speakers so the audience can hear it too?
    That's what Ervs Omnisaber system did. It came in a briefcase with all the stuff needed. Unfortunately he doesn't have any or know when if ever anymore will be produced.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    Well, and that's the real thing... how many of you folks really NEED this?! lol

*I* don't even need it. In fact (as I've said many times via threads)--using each saber's "real" sounds to broadcast to audiences for "enjoyment" produce several issues:

1. "False" detections are... uh... still played! That is... you swing it hard but get a clash sound = too bad, it'll be played and heard. This happens a lot--no matter what type of motion detection system is going on.

2. At present, even if you were using CF... you can only get SO MANY sounds to come out of there. You cannot dynamically "craft" the sounds so that it becomes more of a symphony of rhythms and pitches and so forth. This is hard to explain, but... this might turn on a light bulb of realization to people on what folks like Ben Burtt have done, along with sound editors for saber fan films and so forth.

3. It's expensive, and what I mean by that is for all the extra logistics... even though b-tooth wireless has come down in price. You still need some kind of "system" to get it all done. And hope that nothing interrupts the signals during transmission.

4. One failed wire = a catastrophic failure of your show. This isn't to say you should be a worry-wort with things... but... a pre-recorded soundtrack is MANY times less likely to fail vs. a wireless "regime".

5. All sounds will be fairly "staccato" in rhythm, and this can't really be changed. You can't blend sounds together on the fly. Timings can still be off for things like "lockups" and such... and timing for punches and kicks will either be impossible or be severely limited since you'd need to trigger them on the sabers at precisely the right time.

6. Vocals need to be on microphone or pre-recorded.

7. Music needs to be pre-recorded.

8. Foley sounds need to be pre-recorded. For those who don't know--foley would be background noises/sounds that aren't "prevalent", but set the tone for the atmosphere of the show.

BUT... all that being said--you do get a HUGE advantage for choreography in that it doesn't have to be "perfectly timed". You can go (approximately) as slow or as fast as you like or need.

Granted... if you had a full show with dialogue and foley and music... your timing would have to be pretty good, or else you'd get behind or ahead by 2 to 3 seconds which would screw up things in many ways. Trust me: bad things happen!

Ultimately (in my opinion)... it's a whole lot more trouble than it's worth. Although I DO wish it WERE an awesome solution (for my needs).

If you're doing a demo where you talk to the audience, say hello, welcome them, explain stuff, etc. -- it would be GREAT though.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

right..I didnt say it was needed.. he asked what it would be used for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal El Rah View Post
    That's what Ervs Omnisaber system did. It came in a briefcase with all the stuff needed. Unfortunately he doesn't have any or know when if ever anymore will be produced.
    I build them on request... I'm going to improve the receiver to get it sending info to the computer using a network connection, and possibly handle multiple sabers per receiver.

I personnally hate bluetooth for the classic use of it (aka pairing a device to your computer). Big time out, big latency stack etc.
    The system I'm using uses auto pairing, ie both transceivers are configured to match each other in about 1 sec.
    You basically could use a BT headset to transmit sound, but it's unreliable on long distances. I have customers using this on, at least, 20 meters of movement. My new tranceivers are working up to 350 m (about 1,000 feet) in line of sight. And my system isn't sending sound at all, and not continuous info, that why I have a short latency compared to the H system that streams the motion sensors data to a computer instead of doing motion recognition locally...
    FM transmitters, wireless mikes etc, all those could work. If you can fit something like this in your saber, and afford it too. My transmitter is about 18x12 mm + the antenna. As usual a compromise between ready made technology, size / room, price etc.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Well there ya go, the man himself answered, Thank You Erv.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

very welcome,
    as usual I'm not bashing any idea or the person behind. It's just that there a difference between something that can / could work and something that you can duplicate.
    I had the same thing when I built my "real blade lockup" detector. It works, but it's not reliable / easy to duplicate to present it as a real solution.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think the best solution is for someone to make a REAL lightsaber. They are plenty loud enough.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php