Thread: iPod 4G 20GB Battery replacement 1200mAh

Question iPod 4G 20GB Battery replacement 1200mAh

Does anyone know if I could replace my iPod 4G Monochrome Display Battery with an iPod Color/Photo battery? They both have the same voltage of 3.7 and they both provide 1200mAh and of course both are Li-Ion. The only difference there could be is current and size right? And the photo/Color batteries surely aren't larger than the 4g mono batteries. Any help would be awesome.
    - I must warn you, I'm very good at backflips... Flip Flip Flip, LAVA LAVA LAVA!!! Hmmm, seems I've overshot my mark.

You might very well be able to do so... but without knowing a lot more 411, it'd be a large gamble. I have no idea if the iPod does its own "protection circuit" for the cells (although I think it does), so... I'm not sure what might happen if the batteries THEMSELVES have one too...

Is there some reason in particular you don't want to purchase the ACTUAL replacement cells that are made for it? If it's about price, then... ... are you willing to risk messing up the device.

I mean... sure, the iPod and Apple stuff in general is overpriced and over-rated... but is it worth the risk?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Thanks for the reply Nova, as far as risk is concerned i bought it for $20 and was told it had battery issues, but I totally understand your point. The aftermarket cells for the photo/color iPod are cheaper, probably because there isn't a demand for monochrome display batteries. I have posted on a few iPod forums to get professional help and if i do have to get a more expensive battery then it will be woth the price as I would very much like an INTACT 20GB iPod rather than a smoldering one.
    - I must warn you, I'm very good at backflips... Flip Flip Flip, LAVA LAVA LAVA!!! Hmmm, seems I've overshot my mark.