Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Makototsai's purple LED saber

Maybe there is somewhere you can get white polycarbonate tubing for the outer blade instead of nylon?

Quote Originally Posted by vargose View Post
    I was going to try another option. Since we are having so much trouble tracking down foam inserts.

3/4 PEX pipe (OD 7/8 ) mentioned here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=3102

You can get it at any Home Depot.

It should fit pretty snug into a thin poly carbonate. I'll let you know how it goes.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Ultrasabers sells white polyC, but his thin walled blades usually don't fit with TCSS blade holders. Tim machines them to tighter tolerances than Alex does.

Since you make your own sabers Makoto, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I tryed a led string with my Ultra edge and it didnt work very well ,however i think with some packaging foam inside it ,then it might.

You gotta use foam. Foam from an MR blade works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySkywalker555 View Post
    I tryed a led string with my Ultra edge and it didnt work very well ,however i think with some packaging foam inside it ,then it might.

Okay, I'll start by saying that I know next to nothing about LED-strip sabers.
    But for a diffuser around the LED strip, what about clear bubble-wrap?
    I would guess that the domed shape of the bubbles would act like mini-collimators and help diffuse the light.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Foam pipe insulation, that's what MR use's. Theirs various sources on the net for the stuff, you may even be able to pick it up in a DIY shop... or just salvage it from an MR

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Humberto (Eco ),
    a collimator and a diffuser are opposite things. White foam tube works well.
    I've received my new LEDs, I should be able to start my blade soon (schedule is tight but basement room is almost finished ! yipeee ! more free time !)
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Erv:
    Right, I just thought the domed shape of the bubbles would change the angle of reflexion of the LEDS. (Plus, it would likely make the blade more thwackable )
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That still doesn't make much sense to use only bubble wrap. That would almost be like putting a bunch of little lenses all over the blade, making bright spots.

You want a nice, soft, even glow, which is what a diffuser does.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Eco, white foam makes the blade more uniform in color and to defuse more light, initially making it brighter, if you notice MR led's are packed together tightly and with the foam it makes a flawless looking blade. However, bubble wrap will not defuse the light very well, meaning less uniformity and hardly any brightness what so ever, this also depends on the viewing angle of your LED's

Quote Originally Posted by erv View Post
    Humberto (Eco ),
    a collimator and a diffuser are opposite things. White foam tube works well.
    I've received my new LEDs, I should be able to start my blade soon (schedule is tight but basement room is almost finished ! yipeee ! more free time !)
    Erv'
    Gah! He's beating me!
    Last edited by Malaki Skywalker; 02-21-2009 at 02:10 PM.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682