Thread: 1500 Ma

Default 1500 Ma

Hey guys i was just wondering how most people usually power there luxeon leds so that you can run them a 1500 ma?

I already know- 2 buck pucks(700 ma)(close 1400 ma)

im just wondering what other options there is--- "note" i already know that some sound boards enable you to run the led at 1.5 amps

so please post your options that you use or other people use to max out the Luxeon k2's or any other led??

here is one option, and you can always check out fleabay for something similar.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

There's really no discernible difference between running an LED at 1400 or 1500. The cheapest and easiest is probably the two buck puck idea. If you stick the two together, they really don't take up that much space, either.

Other's may disagree, but I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle.

Agreed with Obi-Dar...

Oh, and by-the-by, it appears that SOME of the red or red-O Luxeons are now "having issues" with being set at 1500mA (or 1540, whatever). At least... I've seen them "die" at this, and Don (Do-Clo) and I have discussed it... and it's happened to him as well.

And... I have to be honest with you: I don't get it.

They SHOULD work. 1540mA has been the "max. cont. curr." on Reds, Red-Os, Ambers (LUX III) for a long time. Then somehow magically we start seeing data saying 1400mA is the max. So... whatever.

But yeah... 1400mA vs. 1500mA = totally impossible (and I mean IMPOSSIBLE) to discern the difference with your EYES.

1000 vs 1500 you might notice, and any larger a gap and you would start to be able to tell.

But this also goes back to the fact that I've *NEVER* been able to tell the difference between the brightness of a Lux III red with a Corbin (v1)... a Plecter... direct drive... and via MR. It all appears about the same to MY eyes... although metering tells you the "truth". LOL :P
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

ok so most people just run them at 1000 ma and dont see much difference.
    --------------------------------------------------------

and ari-jaq xulden could you or anyone explain about these "regulators"? are they meant to work with a buck puck or are they just used alone? or wat?

I don't know about "most" or "some" or what not, but... I think what I said demonstrates the general idea.

If you like--do your own experiment. I can guarantee one thing though... if you lay three sabers down all of similar/100% identical blades, blade lengths, mirror tips, diffuser types, optic types, and LED types + color...

...and then you vary the DRIVING... one as 1000mA, another 1400mA, another 1500mA... chances are you won't be able to discern the difference (which is what I just said).

Further... hey... ask person X to come in the room and make an assessment after YOU have done the work. You should get an unbiased opinion.

Finally... yeah, sure, MAYBE at 6 inches away... you *MIGHT* notice the difference. BUT. When it's waving around all nuts... and someone views it from 3 feet away or more... meh. Think about it.

Unless you DOUBLE brightness (or at least give it at LEAST +40% or more)... you'll never really notice the extra brightness.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide