Thread: Crystal chambers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't use real mineral crystals... never have...

I've used either the acrylic ones from the store or I carve out my own from acrylic cylinders. They're just easier to work with IMO.

I've made a pretty effective crystal chamber using a quartz shard that I shaped with my dremel and lit with an simple LED and computer battery mount (a 2032 3w). The color comes out nice, and the small 'imperfections' give it a kinda sparkley look to the crystal.

have a looksie

"Absolutely not. You're not going to the dark side on my watch. Do it on Luke's."
    ―Corran Horn, to Tahiri Veila

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Wow! That's very, VERY clever... using the pommels and inserts like that. I hope you don't mind, but I'm totally gonna rip-off that idea!

A+ duder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Jedi View Post

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If we're doing show and tell, here's one that I made for a steampunk saber I've been working on. I'm still sourcing some parts for this saber, and it will be a long time before it's done, but here's what I did for the crystal chamber:

It's a piece of real quartz, in a totally scratch built housing, lit by a 5mm white LED.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

ODKG, That is one of the nicer crystal chambers I have seen! I am so stealing that idea!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Heh, my crystal chamber looks similar, but I used two springs instead of the copper wire and the existing graflex innerds to make it.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks! The copper tubing serves a purpose. The power wires for the main LED are running through those coils.

I really should finish this saber, but I so completely botched the 1.25" sink tube that I got mad and had to put it on the shelf for a while and pretend it didn't exist. I'm still looking for some parts to finish it too.

One of these days...