Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats Wrong

another
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need a minimum of 5 volts to run an LED with a buck puck and that will equal to (4) 1.5 volt batteries run in series = 6 volts.

From what I can tell from the picture, I believe that battery holder only holds 2 batteries so you’re going to have to start there and get the proper battery holder and additional batteries.

If everything else is good, that should fix your problem.

Also, you might want to re-solder your LED. It looks like the wires are right next to each other on the star. While this will work, if you look at your heatsink, you have vertical grooves running down it 180 degrees from one another. This is where you want to run your wiring down on the heatsink, so soldering your wires on the star 180 degrees from one another allows you to use the heatsink the way it designed.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Its a 4aa battery holder.

Make sure the yellow and grey wire are not touching/do not touch. Put some tape over each of them and see how it works then.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Default its working... sorta

now it works every time, but only when I tap the led light. I don't wanna pay for another lux 3 kit, but Im afraid that I will have to because I already soldered the wires to the led. Any suggestions?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Did you get a momentary switch? Is it only lit when you are holding the switch in, and turns off when you let go?

If that's the case, you simply need to replace the switch with a latching one.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, and you have an intermittent contact in the switch. I had one of the switches from here do that. Try removing the switch from the system, and putting the wires together securely. If the LED comes on and stays on steady, that's the problem.

Default ok I think I got it

When I put it in the blade holder, it lit up! It just had to be at an angle and the heatsinking and extra soldering helped too Thanks guys! Last question should I just place the connected lens and lens holder on the led or should I glue it?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Sounds like you still have an intermittent contact somewhere. Check that the wires aren't touching the metal heat sink near where they attach to the LED. If there is a bit of bare wire there, it could touch the metal and short out.

As for the lens assembly, it just sits on the LED, and is held in place by butting up to the lip in the blade holder. No glue needed.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Yeah, be sure to check that there are no cuts in the wires (sometimes one gets smashed and the coating gets cut, so in essence there is an exposed wire that shorts when it touches metal. (look carefully the cuts can be small)
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!