Thread: Question about id size and fit

Default Question about id size and fit

Hey all. I'm in the proccess of getting Tim some measurements for a custom blade holder to fit into something and I've run into a small snag.

Originally, the measurements I got for the tube this will go in were 1.240" id, so says my digital caliper.

Today I get some allen wrenches and are finally able to get the old bladeholder out. It measures 1.235" od.

My question is, if my measurements of 1.240" id are wrong, how snug is this going to fit? It seems the variance is .005".

What do you guys think?

Maverick

If tim is making the BH 1.240, and your tube really is 1.235 its not going to fit, I would say you need a minimum of .010" clearence for a nice sliding fit , meaning the BH would have to be 1.225. But it also matters how round the tube is as well.

Also, calipers usually have a small flat on the measuring surface so it wont sit flat on the curve of the ID so the measurement you get will always be a few thousandths smaller than the id really is.

Sand that bish down to make it fit.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. - Albert Einstein

Reaganomics not Obamanomics

Thanks a bunch guys. I've contacted Tim, but he's told me they don't do custom work anymore, which is what I was worried about.

I've sent you a PM arm, I am in need of someone's talents. I've also sent one to Do. Just shopping around and whatnot.

Thanks a lot guys, you've provided a lot of insight.

Maverick