Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hb Rgb Led???

Default Hb Rgb Led???

I was looking at some of these color changing sabers and read that people use High Brightness RGB LEDs. I can't really find what i'm looking for in searches on here or anywhere else online. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some help as to whether this is much different than using a Luxeon LED? Or is this HB RGB LED just a bad or good idea?

When we refer to HB RGB LEDs most of the time we are talking about small accent LED's not the main saber LED. There are RGB solutions for the main LED such as the Prolight RGB's or a Tri rebel setup (no good optics yet for those), but as far as what I think you are talking about those are small 5-8mm accent LED's

Hope this helps
    wsoFB by Nathan Barnes, on Flickr

Default hmmm

I don't know cause when I asked someone about what they used that was their response. Maybe they stringed a bunch together for the hilt. If they did they didn't sequence them then. Well i'll continue my search.

Default emitter and star

Ok so I went to www.led-bulbs.com and they have the prolight led. Only thing is if I buy the star does that mean it's the star w/ emitter or just the star base and I need to buy the emitter as well and combine them myself. Just checking before I place an order.

The Prolight RGB LED is what is used in the Master Replicas "last" saber, the 616 "Joe Jedi" or construction set saber. This may have been what people have told you regarding the high-brightness LEDs.

However, yes--you need to educate yourself a bit and realize that the two major types of LEDs are "low current" and "high current".

Low current is 20mA or 10mA or 30mA--whatever.
    High current is 1000mA or greater--although 700mA is still very high for certain LEDs as well, so... whatever.

High current LEDs usually require some type of heatsinking. In the case of the Joe Jedi 616... there isn't one. I don't know WHY, but... there it is. Probably because it doesn't use full current for each color (although it can be made to do so).

But... keep researching! The answers you seek are out there in a big way--moreso than they ever have been in years.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

High Brightness (HB) is a term used for 5mm, 3mm, 8mm etc. LEDs. Small suckers that run off 20mA per.

A color changing saber using those would be an LED string - a bunch of small LEDs connected. There's a bunch of threads on this topic - I made one myself using HB RGBs. It's a tedious process, but certainly possible.

Where would one get the 5mm or 8mm RGB leds (I ask this because tim does not offer them) I need about 60 of them
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Cool, I'm glad people are picking this up! I got mine from ebay - back before I knew better :P ... if you do, you're buying at your own risk...

Search google... "5mm RGB" "5mm LED RGB" ...stuff like that... they should have 4 pins; they come in either common anode (+pos) or common cathode (neg -) configs.

Darth Chuck, read these threads. It will answer all your questions;

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=5972

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...?t=5972&page=2
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

what do you think are the best viewing angles, because I found a good supply of rgb 5mm leds but their viewing angle is only 25 degrees (I'm building a makoto style blade so facts and help is great.)

never mind found a great site with good rgb's http://www.ledshoppe.com
    Last edited by Sairon; 09-27-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)