Thread: Steampunk WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Steampunk WIP (updated pics on page 3)

Hey everyone,

Here's a saber I've been tinkering with for a little over a month.
    The design was inspired mainly by Slothfurnace's Derelict (graflex shroud) and Chaos_79's Isambard (pommel).

The thing is this - I'm not sure what it is, but something here doesn't seem to work stylistically for me.... I'm not sure if it's just the color combination or what...
    I've already done a lot to the saber and I don't think the design is going to change all that much, but I wanted to get a sense of what the rest of you think...Maybe it's the clash of the copper and brass/gold tones?

Anyway some info about this saber:
    front is a imitation graflex brass shroud. There's a small watch movement on top where the power switch used to be. I bent some solid brass colored wire to make the "exhaust manifold" looking thing in front. I used the watch band around the choke portion in place of some more pipes. There is a working battery meter in the back portion of the hilt, and I used a working skeleton watch in the pommel like Isambard.
    I kind of feel like the front half turned out exactly like I wanted and the back half turned out just like I wanted, but the combo of the two - maybe they should be parts of different sabers? The only thing I could come up with was maybe weathering the copper radiator coils on the back so they don't look like new copper anymore. (do they make copper black solution?) Or maybe axe the watch band in the middle?

Any feedback and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -C
    Last edited by cannibal869; 03-29-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    LOCKHEED