Quote Originally Posted by JediKnightBJ View Post
Raises Hand.

I'm one of those two people. I'm not using a copper heatsink, I'm using an aluminum one.

I'm using a standard 1000ma buckpuck, 4xAA rechargable batteries (duracell 2650ma @ 1.2v each)

aluminum 1" diameter little more than 1/4" long heatsink (provided by ultrasabers)

Its gotten so hot that the soldier pads on the LED literally just melted and the LED module fell off. A friend of mine re-soldier it back on with some super high heat soldier, but we are still trying to find out why its soooo hot. I have four blistered fingers because of the heat on the aluminum heatsink. The LED was only on for about 30 seconds when I burnt my fingers. I have re-tried this with the new soldier. It doesn't melt the pvc, it only liquifies the super glue (gurelia (sp?) glue) that I used to hold everything together.

I'll post pictures when I get home of the new set up, that is still hot enough to fry an egg on the heat sink.

Not blaming anyone, just trying to figure out best course of action.
Do you have an led besides the p4 to try on your set-up like a Luxeon III perhaps? If that doesn't get overly hot, then I'd say there's something wrong with that P4.