Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gladius de Spiritus - First Saber of 2010

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Gladius de Spiritus - First Saber of 2010

Hello Saberland!

2009 was a great year and ended on what seems like the highest note saber wise for us but here we are in the new year, with a new saber. I give you:

Gladius de Spiritus!

This saber was designed on the same sketch paper as Invictus, so as you can tell, it has a lot of similar design cues When I design sabers I usually have 2 or 3 similar designs on the page and pick one (or in this case two ) to go with. However, this saber is an entirely different animal. The customer who commisioned this saber wanted cues from the Mace and from our own Violet Venturi saber, mixed in with some regal flair. He wanted it to have the look of a weapon carried by one of royal blood.

Starting with another Palace emiter, modified again with the rounded ring and coated trans gold, I left the body of the emitter aluminum and polished it to help set off the ring differently. To help transition the aluminum emitter to the black powder coated upper hilt, I lathed back off a few small bands to show aluminum and help break up the separation. Framed by an uber polished aluminum shroud is the lighted green anti-vadal switch recessed in and the threaded in recharge port.

Since the Violet Venturi had a choke section, I wanted to incorporate that in the design, as it goes with the wave motif of the lower shroud. I modified it heavily this time, continuing with the rounded ring motif and coated in trans gold. The lower hilt section is my favorite part starting with 2 milled panels then coated in flat black, I punched in the holes for the 4 accent LEDs and then lathed grooves in the center of each one, carefully to not go deep enough to go through the panel. The customer also requested that the hilt have the prase "Ephesians 6:17" engraved on it and the opposite panel seemed the perfect frame for this. After many failed attempts at doing this myself (on scrap of course ) I took it to a place locally to have it done. Engraving-fu is one fu I probably wont master In any case, it looks beautiful!

To cap it off, we have a pommel, again with the rounded ring motif and coated in trans gold, and inset with our new branded pommel insert. This was a fun build, as I got to see two different designs come to life at almost the same time from the same brainstorming page. Very satisfying indeed!

Quick Specs:

Custom hilt with Flat black and Trans Gold powder coating
    Custom polished aluminum overlays
    Recessed green lighted anti-vandal
    Threaded in recharge
    4 accent LEDs
    Custom engraving "Ephesians 6:17"
    Ultrasound 2.5
    Ignited by a LEDengin 5W green
    4.8V NiMh battery pack

The Pics:

The Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTrja_b7FzQ

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Duuuuuuuuuude..... for real?

That is a flawless execution of style and talent brother!..

I'll be waiting for a NICE & LONG winded thread form you (full of pics) of grinding a bit for the rounded cuts.. (Ive never ground my own bits..but you've forced my hand!) HAHA..

(serious on the tut on JSS) (tick tock)

that emitter looks great like that!

• nice cut-outs on the bottom overlay..goes well, flows nice.
    • emitter looks sharp with top PC'd trans gold..and the extension under it being black..makes it POP
    • choke is SICK makes the whole piece look 'custom', with come modification of a stock MHS.. kudos!..and it really is a main focal point of the saber.. its a natural place for the eyes to be drawn.

Im stopping there...

Nice saber.

Now quit posting your pics side-by-side and making me scroll left to right, lol.
    Last edited by ARKM; 01-06-2010 at 11:24 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

awsome! awsome!! awsome!!! awsome!!!! thats all i can say... very beautyful

Dang... strong work as always!! There's really no way to compete with stuff like yours, especially the way you guys keep on cranking them out!
    LOCKHEED

What a way to start the year!! Awesome stuff dude
    Well designed and well executed... 'nuf said.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Perfect work Brother!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Another amazing piece there. Awesome job!

Out Standing

[=mm[]/=====================>

Wow!

Your builds are always impressive one way or another and even though it's not quite my style, it's very well done. I'm confident in my designs, but I wish I could execute one (lol still working on it) on this level.

Always looking forward to seeing what come out of the vault....

More!