Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound Board Availability

Question Sound Board Availability

I'm relatively new to making custom sabers...I just made a basic MHS and i'm very satisfied with the quality. However I'm about to order some parts so I can make a sink tube saber because I wanna get a little more creative. I was looking for some sound board options but I'm having a hard time finding any at all. Could someone give me some ideas on where to go for this please?

Tim carries the Ultra Sound cards, but they are all sold out. The more expensive Crystal Focus sells a couple times a year, so you have to look out for those times. The most common method of getting sound to sabers is by gutting a Master Replicas or Hasbro Force FX and using that. Finally there is the option of getting one of the Hasbro toy sabers and gutting that, though the sound is inferior to the Force FX.

There are other options as well, but they are either highly specialized(Makototsai's SuperOne; Hyperdyne's new card) or simply ill advised(not calling names on that one).

Honestly, your best option IMO, is to gut a ForceFX or find a card that has already been removed.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey there welcome to the forums, reading a lot will help you!

As for your question,
    Right now there are 5 basic soundboards...
    The one found in toy sabers, it is cheap. But it gets the job done.

Then there is the one found in MR/FX sabers, you can use it with the TCSS Driver board to acheive a pretty nice combo. I like them a lot

Next is a board called sabersound. I don't reccomend it. IT is finiky, overtly sensitive, and the builder has terrible service (you most likely will get ripped off)

Another board is called the UltraSound. This is a Very nice board, it comes equpied with a LED Driver. Sadly, it is out of production....

Lastly there is the Crystal focus (or Buttered toast) it is made by hand by a guy named Erv. It can carry multiple sound fonts, and is alomst impossible to get (100 of these will sell out in 3 miuntes)

TCSS is in the process of creating a new soundboard, there is also an openSound project going on at a different forum.

Hope this helps, if you want my reccomendation I would start with the cheap hasbro... I use them all of the time.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Thank you both, that does help...Is there a place that sells the cards separately? I'd rather not buy a saber when i'm gonna rip out the sound card and discard the rest...I've been doing a lot of reading on Jay-gons saber construction using sink tubes, thats been very helpful too.

Youngling

People usually get the economy cards by taking apart the Force Action lightsabers which you can buy most everywhere for $15-25. If you go this route you want the lightsabers that do not have the additional features.

This thread:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=7587
    has a ton of information on using those boards. Its what I'm using to build my 1st saber.

MRFx and HFx (the ones in the $120 replica lightsabers) boards can be found on eBay sometimes.

Thanks, just found em for about $20, i'm gonna try that

Another option if you find that you want a bit more quality of sound but don't wanna buy a whole saber for just the card...

Alot of people will buy the hilt, gut it for sound, and re-sell the hilt for around 50 bucks...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Just got my hasbro saber and took out all the electronics. I was able to figure out everything except why theirs 4 wires going to the leds (in the toy saber, blue, red, purple, and brown wires) I know it uses 3 leds in it, but which one to i connect to my led? I haven't wire it yet because I'm waiting on my Lux V kit. Also I noticed that the speaker included doesn't fit into the regular 7" MHS main body, the trim on it barely makes it not fit. I was planing on ordering sink tubes for my next saber, so I'm hoping the speaking will fit in a 1 1/2" sink tube.

Two wires are for the LED, and two are for the switch for when the blade gets pushed back into the hilt to turn the sound off. The ones that go to your LED are the ones that connect to the little green LED board. The other two you don't need at all.

EDIT: In addition, the speaker will barely fit into a 1 1/2" sinktube.
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wait- did you buy a "force action" Saber?
    THe board itself... WILL fit in a 1.25" sinktube...
    I can even fit it into 1'' electrical conduit PVC...

But I would buy the TCSS premium speaker, it is amazingly better! It will make the board louder and crisper.
    Last edited by cardcollector; 01-04-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...