Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom? (The start of Crystal Focus)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by xwingband

(that has to be the weirdest logic right there...)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hmmm...

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

Brain overloading....please reboot system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Asuka Langley Soryu: I'll kill you. I'll kill you. I'll kill you. I'll kill you. I'll kill you. I'll kill you.
    -End of Evangelion

Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein
    -Rammstein

*takes index finger and bounces it off of Wierdo's forehead* done......

<center></center>

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Well how about a compromise? I've changed the Gif to only play 5 times then stop, I realize that this isn't anywhere near "removing" the gif, however you realize I could be being a gundark about all this and tell you to stuff it. All in all I may cut it down more in the furture but I feel this is fair for now. Thoughts?

My computer has a 56k modem and is as slow as a slug on salt. Even so, Rod-Wan's sig plays just fine. It also inspired me to spend several hours trying to learn how to do that. Whacked myself a bunch of times, but I got it.

Speak softly and carry a big lightsaber.
    Old Jedi never die; they just fade away.

Default making our own board

Anyone interested in making our own sound boards? I know Chuber is - we've chatted 'bout it.
    For those who are, but think... "I don't even know where to begin." or "I'd
    like to but I don't know much about electronics."
    Let's try to put our heads together - who knows, we might get lucky!
    Maybe someone will be kind enough to give us a wiring diagram!
    (If you're thinking "not likely" I'd be tempted to say you're wrong.)

(Let me first say, I have not yet built a sinlge saber ;-( and I don't know
    much about electronics either. But I do have an open mind and a great
    imagination).

Here's what I've found so far....
    www.scary-terry.com/dsr/dsr.htm -- Terry makes Halloween things and adds sound to them. This link gives some easy to understand information on the ISD25XX sound chips. He also shows some schematics - one that we can use to download sounds from the computer to the sound chip ( www.scary-terry.com/dsr/2560recadv.htm)
    There are other places that have some good info - seems model railroaders and laser tag people like the isd chips too!

check out http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/...nfo/apin09.pdf
    This pdf is titled "Ciruit Examples for ISD1000A and ISD2500 Products."
    If you look at page 3 they have a circuit called "Chip Enable Initiated Looping." Not a lot of parts to it! Page 4 has a couple paragraphs (easy to read) that eplain how it works...which is
    turn the circuit on
    the chip looks at the address pins
    plays the sound at that address
    and repeats this until you turn it off.
    This is most of our playback board! Cooool
    The circuit uses DIP switches to select the address - we will use 'event' switches ( switches that close when an event occurs - like swing, hit and lock) for ours.
    Just a couple things we need to keep in mind - according to ISD's "Basic Addressing" document - page 5 concerns us.
    1. We can only use the addresses 0 to 599 ( not a problem)
    2. Every 5 seconds of sound takes up 50 'spaces' ( 1 sec = 10 'spaces').
    ( Most of our sounds last, at most, 1.5 seconds??)
    So we use 2 swing switches, one ht switch, and one lock switch
    swing switches go to pins 5 and 6 (A4 and A5)
    hit goes to pin 7 and lock to pin 8
    (hum can go at 0 )
    on and off - somewhere else (I was thinking of using a PIC chip for blade effects and sending signals for the on/off sounds)

now for the sensors -
    www.comus-intl.com/comus_vibration.asp -click "movement/vibration datasheets. www.comus-intl.com/comus_shock.asp as well as /low_cost_non_mercury_switch.asp
    or check out www.mdius.com. click 'actice switch' then 'motion&shock' and'tilt&tipover.'
    you might also check out
    http://www.aeroconsystems.com/electr...eleration2.htm
    www.select-controls.com/accel.htm
    www.inertiaswitch.com/overview.html

ideas, comments???

check out http://devices.sapp.org/component/flex - shows how we might use a variable resistor type sensor in our projects
    (i don't think this flex sensor will help us, but...)
    check out
    http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?r..._SG&Nav=pree02
    I was thinking we could wrap one around the blade (use heat shrink to keep it snug against the blade (actually, the blade holder) and when we lock blades, our blade bends, resistance changes giving us enough to have a lock signal.

This is all, for the moment, just some thoughts I'm having but I think it may work. If someone else has ideas or whatever, let's pull together and mike it happen!

funny, I've started adding a blade lockup detection to my soundboard about two months ago. The sensor (which is not a strain gauge) is attached, I get good variation of the analog data when pressing the blade, I just need 2 hours to find in my daily schedule to finish the programming. This will be added on my luxeon retrofit vader ep V.
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Yes ! I've finished my blade lockup detector and implemented it in my luxeon saber.
    I've tried several strategies, and ended with a single sensor, so the detection is unidirectional, but still a good start. It will detect the blade pressing on something hard. The sensor is placed between the blade mount and the hilt, I've machined an area to double sided tape the sensor. Continous pressure variations are digitized and analized by my soundboard, and if the pressure is above a certain level, during a minimum time, the sound board will play a special sound and trigger the light clash effect of my dimmer to display high energy perturbation. The delay is there to avoid the lockup to be triggered when only a clash or a swing is done, but actually this could almost not happend in my algorithm cause the blade pressure is taken in count only when the hilt is not in motion, analysing the other sensors of the sound module. This is just a security for the moment, and this delay is of course adjustable. Right now, it's about 150 ms. It looks longer in the video, but this is because I must reach the threshold of the detection with a single hand, with the cam in my other hand, and maintain the pressure, it will look definitly more natural within a fight context.
    I've made the sound really quickly, and my digital camera is not the best thing to demo, but you'll get the idea. You might also hear some echo in the clash detection, that's on purpose, I've setup my sound module using the SD card to get this result, which makes more "sound events" when the blade is shocked hard (it ondulates and since the detection is sentitive enough in this setup, clash sounds might be triggered several times).
    Also, the automatic gain control of the camera tries to mute my sound board (too loud ?? ) cause I'm saturating the internal mike, that's why the clash sounds are a bit soften and get a lower volume.
    Enjoy !
    http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Vad...ckupSensor.avi
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

truely amazing Erv, you have thoroughly outdone yourself on this module

Rock On Erv!!!! Way cool.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"