Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay-gon Jinn's Luxeon Rebel Star Try-out

Default Jay-gon Jinn's Luxeon Rebel Star Try-out

Here's the stuff I got:

This is the blue Rebel Star I ordered:
    http://www.luxeonstar.com/premounted...8-lm-p-592.php
    not the brightest one available, but the one closest in price to a Luxeon III and a Seoul P4.

Here's the lens and lens holder:

The Rebel Star mounted to an MHS heatsink:

I pre-tinned it, and then soldered the QD to the star:

I then installed it into Chrome Saber 1:

and powered it up:

It's definitely bright!

Now, when I went to add the lens and the holder, I realized I should have double checked the alignment of the led in relation to the screws in the heat sink:

Oops...not going to fit like that....the led needs to be situated like so for the lens holder to fit:

After several minutes of de-soldering (These things are a bit of a PITA to solder, similar to a K2), I got it re-aligned properly:

Now I can button up the saber, and do some comparison pictures, using CS-1 (Rebel Blue), CS-2 (Luxeon III blue) and CS-X (Seoul P4 blue.)

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Okay, here's my comparison pictures of the new Rebel Star blue led compared to a Luxeon III blue and a Seul P4 blue.

The sabers:

From top to bottom-

1. Chrome Saber 1; Rebel Star, 8.7 deg. optic, MR Vader soundboard, 4- AA battery pack, 6 volts, case fresh Energizer Max's.
    2. Chrome Saber X; Seoul P4, 5 deg. optic, MR Luke ANH soundboard, 4-AAA battery pack, 6 volts, case fresh Energizer Max's,
    3. Chrome Saber 2; Lux III, 5 deg. optic, MR Vader soundboard, 4-AA battery pack, 6 volts, case fresh Energizer Max's.

Blades are my usual 36" Dual-Core Diffusion type, thin-walled, with modified mirrors on the blade tips. They all have about 6' of polypropylene film. I shot these pictures in my dimly lit basement using my camera mounted to a tripod. I also adjusted the setting to compensate for over exposure, to get the blades to look as close as possible to how they looked to me.

All three, in the same order as listed above:

Not too bad, all of them look somewhat similar. The Luxeon III was the dimmest one of the three in this shot to me.

CS-X (Seoul P4) v.CS-2 (Lux III):

CS-X wins this one....

CS-1 (Rebel) v. CS-2 (Lux III):

Side by side:

I'd say CS-1 with the Rebel wins this one.....

CS-1 (Rebel) v. CS-X (Seoul P4):

Side by side:

To me, this is a bit of a toss up....neither looked significantly brighter to me than the other.

Overall, I'd have to say that the Rebel Star will be a nice replacement for the Luxeon III, but not necessarily better than the P4. Mainly, because the P4 is a bit easier to solder to. I also noticed that the star the Rebel is mounted to is also thinner than the Lux III/V star, so the lens was a bit loose in the blade holder socket on CS-1. I temporarily glued it with hot glue to keep it in place to get these pictures. I've had the same issue with P4's too, so it's not really a big deal to me.

I have a green Rebel Star I'd like to try out next, and I also have a green P4 led, and a Luxeon III green that I could test it out with.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Very cool. Thanks for the comparison Jay-Gon! I was thinking about trying a rebel in my next build. I'm really interested in the ones mounted on the 10mm square. I think they would work great on non mhs builds where space is limited.

Sweet! Thanks for the comparison pics Jay-gon. I've been out of the saber loop for awhile now so I was sorta shocked when I read about the discontinuing of the III/K/V's today. Great to know that aside from the Seoul's, the Rebels also offer a viable alternative.

A Jedi gains power through understanding;
    a Sith gains understanding through power.
    Help me choose my Sith Sinktube Saber design!

Thanks for the great comparison. I can't wait to see the green as that's what's planned for my next build.

Thread resurrection just means somebody was reading before asking dumb questions.

Nice! Thanks for info.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

thanks for the info Jay.
    ...YUP!

Very nice comparrison, very useful info. Thanks for posting it.
    Mike Spurgeon SL-3412 Star Garrison

"The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."

Interesting comparison...especially since that wasn't even the brightest Rebel star available and still holds up well...I'm guessing that the brighter 58 lumens@700 mA one could be a winner when driven to its 1A max [70 lumens or so?].

Im curious as to what Tim is going to propose to this 'height' issue to with the new Stars.

being as MHS are made for the LUX's..

maybe a 'shim'..or washer type fix? eventually making new MHS bladeholders?

going to be hard to make a BH that can work with multiple leds if they are all various sizes..

maybe just keep things the same..and people buy the appropriate shim for the led they are going to use?