Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Restoring damaged solder pads? Help?

Quote Originally Posted by xl97 View Post
    to be clear.. I take no responsibility for anything.. (just trying to help here)
    I understand this completely as I'm sure the solution may be difficult to determine in person even. I'm trying to make the most informed decision to avoid further damage while trying to salvage the board.

One concern I have now is doing further damage in the next solder attempts. I hesitant to touch my iron to anything but wires or pad so I'm guessing I should melt the solder above the trace?

Any second opinion would certainly help if anyone either agrees or has any other suggestions. The thread does have an accurate title and will be very useful for others like me.

have you read Erv's tutorial on soldering? are you tinning both wire & pad before connecting?

What size solder iron are you using? you shouldnt have to touch for very long, especially if both parts are pre-tinned

yeah I did...I watched his you tube at least three times fully and a few sections over more often to let it sink in. I saw some other ones where people had different techniques for tinning, but erv's seemed to work best.

I do have to touch bare surface to tin though. Heat for a sec and then add solder.

It's a 25W pointy tip

Your Iron is way too hot.

I use a 15 watt pointed tip iron from Radio Shack and low temp solder.

You will be amazed at how easy this goes with different iron

Good luck!

I agree with XL on this. Scrape off the little line that is just below the now bare square where the pad used to be until you see the copper coming through.

You may need another iron as well. 25W is probably not an iron you want to use as a beginner.

I use a 25W Jensen (Weller is the manufacturer) but I use a tiny tip (about the size of a large sewing needle) and it works very well for me but I have a lot of experience soldering without problems. I do some surface mount soldering with it as well.

I have a couple of lower wattage irons as well (including a nice unger I have different wattage heaters for) but I like the combination of the weller I am using the best.

The update

But I joke..lol. I totally fixed it!
    Thank you so much for the support insight and advice. I'm am super happy now.

What I did...

I picked up a new knife to scatch off the little line to expose the copper. Then the wire I attempted to solder to the backside...I clipped it off and stripped it to a length that it would hold to the damaged solder pad and over shoot to make a connection to the copper as well.

I'm so excited. If there are no further unforseen difficulties to come my way I'll post up all the goodness that I call "Valoury" next week.

persistence pays off.

glad you got it all working finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    The update

But I joke..lol. I totally fixed it!
    Thank you so much for the support insight and advice. I'm am super happy now.

What I did...

I picked up a new knife to scatch off the little line to expose the copper. Then the wire I attempted to solder to the backside...I clipped it off and stripped it to a length that it would hold to the damaged solder pad and over shoot to make a connection to the copper as well.

I'm so excited. If there are no further unforseen difficulties to come my way I'll post up all the goodness that I call "Valoury" next week.
    Picture?
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~