Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Copper?

Default Copper?

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding Copper as a usable hilt material? I am working on a design influenced by Nikola Tesla's work. Mostly the Tesla Coil. I would like to use Copper as either the main body or an overlay in conjunction with aluminum.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Copper is easy to work with, but it is very expensive. It is over 15 times more expensive than aluminum.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

its also hard to maintain if you ever plan on 'touching it'.. haha..

always the polish! (maybe a clear seal or PC over it might keep..but might take away the 'shine' too)..

and as stated.. its VERY expensive. (compared to aluminum)

I knew it was expensive lol. I was looking up prices and for one foot it was around $60.

So it is easy to machine then? I was thinking of having it machined somewhere. Also will it corrode in contact with aluminum?

So finger prints are the issue? That I don't mind too much, in fact with my design it should look more industrial and less showy. Will it scratch?

yes.. it will scratch.. (its a softer metal)

yes it can be machined (the heatsinks here are made from copper)

Im not too sure about corrosion with other metals.. but I'll say I 'dont think so.

1.) because we use copper heatsinks in our aluminum hilts
    2.) I believe machinists like Do-Clo have used solid copper in builds before..

(I have nevr myself though)

Randomsabers used copper parts in a few hilts including one with a machined copper emitter with Kit Fisto type fins that was VERY beautiful and Ultrasabers has made some copper pipe based sabers too but unprotected copper WILL develop an old-penny "patina" and very rapidly with ungloved handling...if you are going for a steampunk/Victorian era/Belle Epoque look then copper parts might look very nice indeed even with a patina and I can see how it could fit with a 'Tesla saber'...but if you want to keep it 'bright penny' looking you'll definitely need to get it clear coated or laquered or be prepared to polish it FREQUENTLY.

edit: ah...found it: http://randomsabers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2293 ...pretty eh?
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 12-16-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Dude!...Corbin Das's killer penny!

I'm pretty sure it's solid copper with some brass overlay. Definitely one of my favs.

Oh how could I forget the legendary Killer Penny!

And it should be noted as an alternative to real copper parts TCSS does have copper PC

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

copper will tarnish as soon as you touch it, it turns to a dirty brown...

Try it with a TCSS heatsink if you don't beleive me.

If you PC some clear coat on it, the copper will look like it has a plastic coating on it, you will lose the metal look...

I would buy aluminum and then PC it the solor you want.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Randomsabers used copper parts in a few hilts including one with a machined copper emitter with Kit Fisto type fins that was VERY beautiful and Ultrasabers has made some copper pipe based sabers too but unprotected copper WILL develop an old-penny "patina" and very rapidly with ungloved handling...if you are going for a steampunk/Victorian era/Belle Epoque look then copper parts might look very nice indeed even with a patina and I can see how it could fit with a 'Tesla saber'...but if you want to keep it 'bright penny' looking you'll definitely need to get it clear coated or laquered or be prepared to polish it FREQUENTLY.

edit: ah...found it: http://randomsabers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2293 ...pretty eh?
    Onli-Won beat me to it. I was going to say that if you wanted a nice "weathered" copper look just let it be.
    So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause.