Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For you Lumen Lovers

Default For you Lumen Lovers

Not available just yet but wow. Sounds incredible and looks like it might work with a Cree MC-E lens. Almost twice the light of anything else!

http://www.luminus.com/content1517

at 3 amps?! holy.... good Vf though.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

It will be interesting to see what kinds of LED's will hit the market in the near future. Considering that they are fast becoming used in everyday applications we're likely to see an influx of all kinds of super bright LED's.
    Follow Your Bliss

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Can you imagine the heat those would put out? Almost as much heat as a real lightsaber would. LOL You may need a water cooling system to keep it cool.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

3 amp drive heat would be comparable to a 10 watt which we already use. As there is only one die the forward voltage is a drawback of sorts but that's what makes the design so bright! Oh the irony.

It doesn't look like these will work for our purposes per se but if the photonic lattice technology behind them might find its way into other LED or LED makers designs then that might advance things in the future...not quite ready for prime time, but a hint of things to come?

I hope Phillips or Seoul buys/licenses this tech in the future.

Great find though... LEDs are most certainly "going more places" than they did back in the early 90's...

I personally think some of the waves of the future for LED sabers will entail:

* Cooling fans
    * Planned airflow
    * Possibly water-cooling, as has been suggested
    * Multi-LEDs/dies under one dome (RGB style, custom style, etc.)
    * Heavy focus on PWM and "flickering" the LED(s)
    * Improved heatsinking and heatflow
    * More amps being "required" to run the saber
    * At a certain point (still many years down the road), boards spitting out "solely" 1A or < will become extinct or inferior... sort of like a Luxeon I or some forms of EL
    * Less "worry" on forms of diffusion. Anything of decent quality will "do just fine" soon enough
    * Fuses will need to be added in order to protect expensive electronics (this was actually hinted to by Eandori about a year ago--when he was merely thinking about using 11.1v + CF and some funky electronics!)

Anyhow... great find, it's always inspiring to see how the choices/possibilities keep growing. They will certainly steer the market for sabers!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I agree with most of that except maybe for watercooling...yeah it works fine on PCs but no one is whacking PCs together like gorilla duellists...the first time a duellist has a water line loosen from repeated dueling impact vibration and spill inside shorting out a CFv7 or whatever there will be much howling and hullabaloo and that will be the end of the water cooling in this particular hobby methinks...air cooling on the other hand I expect will arrive and stay theres no downside it just hasnt been necessary but will be.

Thats why you use nonconductive mineral oil...

Water cooling is hard to imagine, but air cooling is totally doable. If only batteries had a little more capacity we could actually use these. We need a mini Mr Fusion.