Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: For you Lumen Lovers

Banned Sith Lord

they have mini blowers now! those should work great!

wow these LEDs look promising. but seriously 2000 lumens of green light? i dont want to go blind here now. even my 10 watt green is pretty intense! and thats about 600 lumens imagine 2000!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    is ... We need a mini Mr Fusion.
    yeah that would be awsome! haha just wish it was a little bit easier to build 10w sabers... but they require alot of different components... depending on what your useing inside the saber... haha

To put 2000 lumens in perspective consider that a conventional 100 Watt incandescent lightbulb emits 1650 lumens. That gives you an idea how far we need to go to get to daylight sabers. We will get there in the not so very distant future...this new technology is a step in that direction and there will doubtless be a new generation of phlatlights in the next couple years...the future of sabers is looking very bright!

Just to put it in perspective (it's been coming up a lot lately) for people, and to dispel "mis-discussion" about laws of physics...

A "daylight bright" saber... is an impossibility. At least here on Earth. Under direct, un-shielded sunlight (which seems to make sense when people say "daylight bright").

Unless I'm missing what "daylight bright" means...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Just to put it in perspective (it's been coming up a lot lately) for people, and to dispel "mis-discussion" about laws of physics...

A "daylight bright" saber... is an impossibility. At least here on Earth. Under direct, un-shielded sunlight (which seems to make sense when people say "daylight bright").

Unless I'm missing what "daylight bright" means...
    Indeed. Even today's LED-powered traffic lights still require hoods to keep them from being overpowered by the sun. I think by "daylight bright," people mean, "You can tell it's on, even outdoors in the daytime." But even then, you need a certain amount of shade. In direct sunlight, you might be able to tell the saber is on by looking at the side not facing the sun, but the side facing the sun can't compete with the Almighty Source of All Life.
    There's always a bigger fish.

1900 lumens in green! Now we are getting somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    I personally think some of the waves of the future for LED sabers will entail:
    * Possibly water-cooling, as has been suggested
    The point of water-cooling a PC is to transport the heat to a larger heat-sink that is situated outside the box that will dump the heat to the surrounding air. Water is only the transport medium.
    Unless you have a water hose in the sleeve of your Jedi tunic going to a large heat-sink on your back, you would not achieve any significant gain with a water-cooled saber.

With air cooling, you are using air as a transport medium to transfer the heat outside.

These are LED's I've been looking for! But it seems we may struggle for optics... with the exception of modified Reflectors, then again, maybe LEDIL's P7 Reflector may work? Considering it has a 10.8mm opening and the P7 has an identical dome, we might just have a solution, eh?

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Hmmmm...well according to that link the LEDIL "Boom-S" reflector is 9 degrees which would certainly be in the saber-use ballpark if it will fit these phlatlights...nice find!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you imagine how hot these things will get?!

You would need a fan (or 2) in your saber to keep this LED from overheating...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...