Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Custom Sabers

Default New to Custom Sabers

I just got my Obi wan ROTS MR saber in the mail today. I found this website while scrounging ebay for an MR Saber and noticed that some were substantially upgraded. I've been reading for a week or two now and I definitely want to build a few sabers myself. From what I've read it looks like I should start of with a few PVC sabers. I just had a couple of quick questions I didn't seem to find answers on.
    How long are these sabers usually, and where is a good spot for the on/off switch? In handling the Obi, the switch box seems to be in a weird spot for a two handed grip. I understand that the internal electronics probably have to do with the placement of the switch, just wondering how you guys dealt with it.

Thats about all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll be bugging you when I get my hands on some more components.

Welcome to TCSS and your new addiction!

As for length and switch position, here's a good quote: "Design the saber around the electronics, not the other way around." Forgot who said it, but it's good advice.

Also, sabers range from 10"(Novastar short) to 15"(MHS show off long). I like mine at 12". For switch positions, it seems "natural" to me to have it in between your two hands when using a two-handed grip, which is usually the middle of the saber. This is also a good spot for a one-handed grip, when you grip at the bottom, like for two-saber-wielding. For reverse grip, somewhere near the pommel is a nice spot.

There's my $0.02.
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Cool, thanks for the advice. I think I'll just buy like 6 ft of PVC tube since its cheap. Then just play around with different lengths to see what works for me. Maybe if the switch is a little recessed and not a giant box like the ROTS Obi I might like it better.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Welcome to the boards! Be sure to check out the links in my sig

I like having switches more centered in the hilt, as I tend to grab the emitter and pommel of the saber. For an ideal length, I like sabers that are ~13" long
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I spent the first two weeks or so just reading here. I've read through every tutorial on the site and am trying to go back though by hand and skim to see if anything else catches my eye. I hate asking questions that have already been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordandau View Post
    I spent the first two weeks or so just reading here. I've read through every tutorial on the site and am trying to go back though by hand and skim to see if anything else catches my eye. I hate asking questions that have already been answered.
    ...and your hatred of asking question that have already been answered demonstrates that you can search these forums for your own information...and you will be well received here at TCSS.

A PVC saber is good to cut your teeth on. You get some experience with construction, and if you flub it up, you're not out a bunch of money. Check the tutorials by Jay-Gon for PVC sabers...should give you a really good leg up for what to do and how.

If you can demonstrate to us that you've at least tried to find your own answers, we're more than willing to accommodate questions for clarification or pointing you in a new direction. Welcome to TCSS.

Thanks, I've read through it a few times as well as watched novastar's sink tube saber video. I'm trying to make it a habit of reading it every few days so everything else I've learned helps cement all the info. Seems like everytime I'm on here I learn something new.

These forums have been around for quite a while and there is a LOT of info here. It's daunting to search through it all, but it's worth it. Yep, there's always a gem to be found in the dark recesses of the TCSS forums.

Jonitus is right...I've been here almost 3 years and I'm still finding things useful to learn from that were posted on here long ago but are new to me...the information here runs very deep so don't be afraid to dive in!

Personally I don't like 13" sabers...or 13 anything ...and try to keep my designs between 10-12"...but I also like shorter than average blades around 30". Other folks like sabers that look like they should be in a Braveheart movie. Which only shows how a lot in this saber hobby is about personal preferences [as befits sabers representing what was a very personal weapon in SW eh?] or as Obi-Wan would put it; "many things...depend greatly upon our own point of view". In time you will find what works for you BEST and PVC sabers are a good inexpensive way to start with sabers. In time you can also move up to TCSS MHS sabers or custom sabersmiths but meantime it doesn't hurt to play around with the MHS Builder either which can give you an idea of the near infinite possibilities with the great parts available at TCSS store.

Best of luck finding and building your perfect saber design[s].

Have you guys experimented with mounting the switch at the top under the LED or on the bottom towards the speaker?