Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saber Sound Font Website (or directory/page/etc.)

Default Saber Sound Font Website (or directory/page/etc.)

Ok... so, although I've thought a *tiny* bit about this idea way in the past (2007)... it seems the most relevant here and now, as we move toward 2010...

The idea would basically be a web page/site that is dedicated to a directory of sound fonts for CF.

Now... a few moments ago, I thought that since I was re-designing my website(s) anyhow... maybe having an organized place to download fonts would be cool.

This has been attempted a bit @ TCSS... but things get lost when there is a "thread" + a bunch of individual sites to host downloadable zips.

Some important thoughts:

* It COULD BE DONE via a thread on FX and/or TCSS... but there would have to be some "standard format".
    * It could also be done via "video" on Youtube/etc. (sort of like my saber response challenge setup)... where the user would post a link in the sidebar to download the .ZIP or whatever for the font...
    * It could also be done via a webpage/website

Now... the advantages of doing it via VIDEO (let's say, Youtube), would be the following:

~ No "main site manager" has to do anything.
    ~ Video can plainly demonstrate the font "visually" and via audio (DUHHH).
    ~ Users are their own persons... they can do things in their own way while keeping some "standard practices" (sort of like the saber response challenge)
    ~ Users can remove/update/alter/add as they see fit. Again, no site manager has to fix this.
    ~ People visiting the video do not have to watch the entire video to download... they just click the sidebar if they know what they want!

The only disadvantages I see:

~ You can't add your own fonts if you don't have a y-tube account (big deal)... although ANYONE can download.
    ~ It's not "all at one site". Sort of. Since the downloadables would have to be "up to the user" to place somewhere where the file can be accessed all the time (none of this yousendit stuff here!!)
    ~ No real "directory" of the fonts... other than the fact that they'd all be "video responses" (again, exactly like the saber response challenge)... which... I don't know if it goes in alphabetical order??? Hmmm. Even so... this could be remedied by some guy who wants to make a thread that shows: Font Name + Creator Name + Video Link... in a big long list--locked thread except to edit/add links!

What do you guys think?

--Nova
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

sounds cool! (thats ironic lol) I do see where your comming from though nova...

sounds like a great idea. you tube is very friendly and the video previews would answer alot of questions. If every one started their youtube video with a standard blurb like,"buttered toast font: super darth wig splitter" then it could even make it searchable.

I'm bumping this thread simply because I thought the timing might have bit a bit weird (Xmas time, 2009)...

Otherwise... I'd be getting the feeling that no one really wants this (see initial post). Which is ok... I just want to find out, hahahah!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

I don't think I've seen more then a handfull of people making custom fonts for their CFs and even though the card is not easy to get, so many people have them. I have many many ideas for various experimental sound fonts but alas...I have no CF. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy seeing some more creative use of CF and what kind of sound fonts people manage to create.

Go for it, Nova!

At the very least we'll know where to go when posting our sound fonts, and where to look when we have something in mind.

If I ever get my "blue saber" sound font to sound the way I want it to, I'd certainly post it up.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Hmmm... as I'm not seeing much about this right now, I think I'll make it some kind of "later on + spare time" thing, and not worry too much about it for now.

I will probably do it no matter what later on... but... no need to make something if there aren't many "screams from the crowd" on it!!

It's not so much a "negative" thing, it's just prioritizing...

So so sad...I'm gonna steal someone CF for not being more into this. I have no idea just how many of the various CF cards are out there, and now even another board with custom fonts and yet it seems like no interest? This makes me wonder why does anyone get a CF to begin with? I mean there are some great fonts out there now yet the ability to make your own is what makes me want one the most.

Well then, for future reference then I suggest a youtube standard with everyone using SSF in the beginning of the title. EI..."SSF Leia" etc. For the obvious reason that by searching SSF you'd get a list of saber font posts.

I like the idea! I think a page that gave a preview (like the previews on the NSCFSC or erv's site have) would really be a help to those looking for what fonts to get. Come to think of it.....couldn't erv continue to host these on his website? I don't know if storage would be a problem on his site or not, that, and the time erv would have to take to get things up.

From what I see, mostly (mostly) all CF fonts have been featured on the sound compendiums which is something for sale...not really free for anyone to take, but by offering previews and giving the info on how to get them, it'd make it easier to aquire.

For instance, if someone likes "Blackstar" they could either get CFSC#1 or go to erv's site (I think it's still posted there). Or if they like one of Madcow's fonts or Eastern's either get the respective cd or contact the artist for it (there's a few people who like to trade cf fonts for parts or services). For those that want to have thier fonts "free to the public" they can do that to. I think that if an audio preview and a "font locator" were mandatory, it'd be very streamlined versus a youtube like solution.