Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: EL Sound With One Switch

Default EL Sound With One Switch

Ok I finally got the parts and had time to sit down and work out the EL sound with one switch.

I used a Anakin color change sound board because it does not have flash on clash, it does have sound on clash though. I used a 8 AA battery holder and with a volt meter found a rivet on top of the pack near where the battery connector snaps on that was a ground point that would give 6 volts between that rivet and the main battery positive connector.

I connected the positive wire from the battery pack to the EL inverter and to the sound board. I connected the Negative wire from the battery pack to the EL inverter. I soldered a wire from the rivet on top of the battery pack and connected it to the ground of the sound board. Now I have 6 volts to run the sound board and 12 volts to run the inverter.

I used a 5 volt relay and wired it to the out put from the sound board that went to the leds, and I installed a switching diode to reduce the voltage from the sound board to 5.3 volts to power the relay. The relay when powered up switches on the power inverter by connecting the switched wires from the inverter to the relay. I removed the motion sensor from the led board and connected it to the wires from the sound board that attach to it on the led board.

When you press the momentary switch on the sound board you get a power up flash on the EL blade that looks good and matches the power up sound from the sound board, the same when the board powers down you get a flash on the blade that matches the power down sound. You still have your clash sound but no flash on clash since this board does not have it. You will need a 1.5 inch hilt to fit the sound board into as this is a big board but it works well and allows you to have only one switch to operate both sound and blade.

Xwing could you add this to the thread index

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Added... I will have to read this throughly later.[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

So would this setup also work with other boards as well?

I am 1/3 High School student and 2/3 SITH LORD.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

On a more through look... this would work for one with the LEDs, meaning the Obi and Anakin, correct? OR it'd just be like normal with the negative going straight back to the battery?

And a basic work around also I one didn't have a 8AA qould be to break it in half as two 4AA, OR a voltage regulator, correct?

It looks good. I just want to make sure everything is straight on how it'd be used for other circumstances.[]

</center>

This would work with other hasbro boards but most have the flash on clash which would make your blade flash every time you got the clash sound, that is why I used the color change board which there should be several available yet. Xwing this really is for EL setups it could be used for led with modifications but you can run the led off of the hasbro sound board so this would be extra parts to do the same thing. The big problem for el has be a way to turn on the inverter and sound board with one switch, which is what I built this circuit for and you could use a 8 AAA battery holder if space was an issue or you could use two 4 cell holders if you were careful about wiring them in series and connecting at the right point for 6 volts for the sound board, this eliminates the need for a voltage regulator or complicated switches.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

What I meant is the Anakin and Obi use an LED array as opposed to a 1W bulb. Meaning the ones with the bulbs don't have two wires to put to the relay. I was wondering if the positive would be the "lamp wire" and the negative from the relay go to the battery (just like it does on the board normally).

</center>

Yes that would work also, sorry I missed what you meant. This could be used with just about any hasbro sound board, I just had a color change board and I like the no flash on clash which helped me decide.[]

<center></center>

Thanks I like the design, finally a good way to make and El with sound.[8D]

<center>
    " I am a Jedi like my Father before me"

</center>

well we dont call him lord technous for nothin, he's sith. and sith rule!!

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

So why are people trying to get rid of the F.O.C.? Is it just annoying, or does it mess up the EL blade for some reason?

I am 1/3 High School student and 2/3 SITH LORD.