Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: speaker hiss...premium speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    oh..hehe I got it running again and now I just have to take my time and pack it all in carefully.

I was at a local builders yesterday and...

THE ULTRA SOUND DOES HAVE WHITE NOISE HISS! ....NORMALLY!

I can't believe everyone had me thinking something was wrong. Like I said earlier I wasn't sure If I was being picky, but apparently I'm the only one who noticed it? I really can't believe this.

I'm still content with the board as I finally got to compare in person the US 2.5 to a CF 4.?...Mokotosai(sp?), MR mace, and even economy hasbro.
    All seem to have a variety of pros and cons. Overall I would say I'm content with US, gonna try a MR next and try to get my hands on a CF eventually.
    well thats good to hear that it works again... and second of all... lol

In general... the white noise may be:

* Sound samples are too muddy. The white noise should have been removed at a software/firmware/programming level.

* The board's amplifier is doing too much work, and/or the samples are recorded/saved at such a low volume that the gain is turned up so high... you get amplification on the "normally barely audible" white noise.

This is actually a prime example of why I tell people (when recording/sampling/whatever for CF sounds)... to have their sound samples essentially "fill the waveform", or at least hit almost all of the peaks.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    In general... the white noise may be:

* Sound samples are too muddy. The white noise should have been removed at a software/firmware/programming level.

* The board's amplifier is doing too much work, and/or the samples are recorded/saved at such a low volume that the gain is turned up so high... you get amplification on the "normally barely audible" white noise.

This is actually a prime example of why I tell people (when recording/sampling/whatever for CF sounds)... to have their sound samples essentially "fill the waveform", or at least hit almost all of the peaks.

Exactly! I think it's amplifying a low level sample/recording. Too bad that so much has gone into the US but this seems to have been overlooked. I have some experience in music, recording and production, and this is what I thought but being new to these products I needed to confirm with someone more experienced.

TELL me about it... lol

I mean... *I* do not have any kind of "degree" in sound and mixing... however...

* I learned a TRUCKLOAD on my own when I started mixing BOP I, back in 2005/2006...
    * BOP II was yet another barrel of monkeys in frustration + learning & experience...
    * I've always tinkered with sound files even back in high school and college, where I would mix a lot of 4-part harmonies... even a few sound effects... that sort of thing.

Crystal Focus came along and I thought it was so magnificent... I thought it just HAD to have some truly precise and well-mixed sound samples. Erv and I chatted, and... here it is today.

What I then learned in mixing my sound CDs was invaluable. Not only in the "neato sounds" department, but also from a technical standpoint with getting the right feel, tones, volume levels, and general control over distortion, pops & clicks and (of course)... looping zero-crossing points.

No matter how you slice it... sound is 50% (or more!) of a saber driver board that does light & sound. And even Lucas mentioned that he thinks his films would have been far less successful without Ben Burtt & good ol' Johnny Williams.

I agree 100%.

ANYHOW... sorry for the slight de-rail, but... yeah... I'm not certain what is causing the "hiss/white noise"... but whatever it is--it's something that doesn't REALLY need to be there.

It COULD be the speaker... but I personally know the specs on those things (I helped Tim AND Alex get hooked up with those suckers)... if it is the speaker, I'm a monkey's uncle.

[Joker's answer = "Well... it IS the speaker, Nova. Now let me see you hang by your tail..." ]
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide