Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: will wood work?

Use TWO of the MHS to 1.5" sinktube adapters...one at each end of the hollow wood section ..with the wood on the INSIDE of the adapter and the sinktube overlay on the OUTSIDE of the adapters...MPS pommel screwed on one end of the ADAPTER not the wood, MHS V grooved extension screwed on the other end of the other ADAPTER not the wood...MHS bladeholder screwed on the v-grooved extension...should be plenty strong for dueling eh?

moonbass is right.It could work,But I would just use it for show.Also,I wish I could build it right now,but i'm broke.It sucks.
    Last edited by sithhed; 12-01-2009 at 07:41 PM.

i shall build one.
    i'll let you know how it works out

Um,ok. That sounds cool.

I did this one a few years ago, but the wood is not a load bearing section at all. It has metal tube running through the middle.

It was actually the second wooden 'sleeve' I made for the sabre as the first was made with wood that hadnt COMPLETELY dried out so after a while it shunk slightly and split. I learned my lesson on the second one

Let me tell you it was a pain in the rear to bore out even with my lathe.

Phil Higgins

What Neo did is an example (obviously) of how it could work.

In my silly little opinion... the most ideal way to achieve the wanted result would be to use metal... but SIMULATE the effect of it being wood via marring & grinding + the correct amount of paint/lacquer/whatever.

After all... my assumption is--one does not care if the "wood" ACTUALLY *is* wood... only that the visual result (upon close OR far inspection) is convincing to any given bloke looking at your saber hilt.

Sort of like the "special" umbrella Jackie Chan used in "Police Story". He hangs from a double-decker bus in traffic on it. It sure LOOKS like wood though--from every angle and whether close-up or far away.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I agree with nova, but I think as long as it's done like neo's saber it would work out great. I also think if you were to make the wood poke through an overlay (such as to engrave the cutout design of the overlay so it rests flush to the wood) it would look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by neophyl View Post
    I did this one a few years ago, but the wood is not a load bearing section at all. It has metal tube running through the middle.

It was actually the second wooden 'sleeve' I made for the sabre as the first was made with wood that hadnt COMPLETELY dried out so after a while it shunk slightly and split. I learned my lesson on the second one

Let me tell you it was a pain in the rear to bore out even with my lathe.

That looks awesome! Very elaborate and beautiful.

This may sound like a strange idea,But I don't think anyone mentioned this. What about maybe wood veneering over a metal mhs piece. I will see if I can find time to mock up something to show you.
    Added pic, just a rough cut and taped to show a mock up
    Last edited by Ari-Jaq Xulden; 12-20-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added pics

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.