Thread: 'Hermit' by Toukejin

Default 'Hermit' by Toukejin

My third lightsaber, Hermit.

Aluminum with brass accents
    Seoul P4 Blue
    1000mA Buckpuck
    TrustFire Li-ion Batteries
    No Sound

More photos available in the Flickr set.

A friend had me build this as a Christmas present for his brother-in-law. He wanted something resembling the classic ANH Ben Kenobi saber, and this is the closest I could get with my building methods. It's not a design I would have made for myself, but I find I like it a lot more than I expected.

As usual, this was constructed using only a hacksaw, cordless drill, and various files.

Thoughts?

I think its nice....

especially for the tools used.

how long is it?

the only 'negative' that jumps out at me (and could be just personal preference)..

but there seems to be an awful lot of screws. (I understand there isnt much you can do to make it secure.)

I like it. It has a very early industrial revolution look about it.
    So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause.

You know, I forgot to measure. I'll post a length when I get home this afternoon.

It wasn't intended to have so many screws. I tried to get away with two on each joint, but that proved to be a bit wobbly due to the fact that a couple of the segments don't extend very far into each other. Three would have worked, but since I already had holes drilled on opposing sides, I kinda had to go straight for four. I just think of it as some kind of studded mace

I'm going to build a sleeker version for my father, one without all the segments on the emitter and far fewer screws.

I like it, I don't mind the screws so much and most of them are rounded pan head screws so it's not like your going to catch your skin on them. Good saber!
    Mike Spurgeon SL-3412 Star Garrison

"The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Great looking saber. I am impressed with what you accomplished with the tools you had. Great job.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Not bad at all....impressive for only those tools. Must have took a while to file. The bolts actually look OK. I am super curious how you layered which parts to do this. I have a layered project on the go. Nothing quite like this but I can appreciate being creative with the parts at hand and the variations you can come up with. My guess would be Aluminum sleeve, MHS adapters, extensions and 1.25 sinktube...but that's no sinktube....(scratches head).

It's all aluminum tube (not to be confused with pipe, of course ) in various diameters and thicknesses; no MHS parts or brass sink tube at all. I've found some aluminum tube with an inner diameter of 1.245" that fits Tim's sink tube blade holder quite nicely, and the aluminum is much easier than brass to work with by hand.

Some of the diagrams I have on Flickr for this saber are a few revisions old, but this one has a cutaway of the emitter layering:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toukeji...7622798733674/

very tight man. Ive seen a couple few builds in the forums that push my thinking further and that stacked plate like work gives me some great ideas. Thanks for pushing for creativity.

Man, this is a cool setup. Layers using "beefy" tubing looks great. Really solid looking.