Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapy Hasbro relay wiring

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thought I'd post this wiring diagram here too.
    It is the same one as before except with an accent LED added.

I highly reccomend the TCSS 4 wire connector for any setup using an accent LED...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Is this the relay that I would want when running a force action board and 6v's?

Or Could i simply run it like this.....

*edit* In retrospect and a helpful reminder... the voltage drops by about 1v across the board IIRC and so the proper resistor would actually be listed as so... right?

Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 01-02-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

If you are running the led directly off the board, like in your diagram, you don't need a resistor at all. The board puts out a little higher voltage than vf for the led, but not too much. The board only puts out around 350ma on 6 volts, which is why I recommend trying a Cree or maybe even the new single Rebels. They are designed to run on this low current. You only need the resistor or buckpuck if you use a relay setup.
    Last edited by Vos Malek; 01-02-2010 at 05:03 PM.

vf on the led is 3.3 and input voltage is 6v's, are you saying there is over a 2v drop across the board?! whoa...

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Eh. I don't know exactly what the voltage drop is. Unfortunately my multimeter crapped out and I've been too lazy to buy a replacement. I can tell you that it works fine without a resistor though. I've done it a couple of times,and Ryhen makes practically all of his sabers this way.

Blog Entries

I don't know what the voltage drop is across the hasbro board (and don't have one to test at the monment...

BUT, I do know I have used your setup before with no resistor and haven't had any problems.

Blog Entries

Ouch- Double post... But I think the Info is worth it.

I have been doing more research and testing with relay's and have good news and bad news.

I have found that the current relay (the one listed in my first post), It isn't quite up to par...
    -the switching current (the current it takes to activate the relay) is .25A. That is fine in our case. (good news)
    - However, the carry current (the output of current the the LED) is only .5A. I have verified this with my multimeter. So while 500ma is better than 350ma it isn't ideal. Especially not $5 worth. (bad news)-The must operating voltage is 3.75V. (news)

So, an ideal relay would be this. (for use in our hasbro boards)
    -Switching current: .35A or less.
    -Carry Current: 1A or more
    -Operating voltage: 6 volts or less.
    - must be SPST or SPDT

I have looked around and haven't found any... yet. I checked out mouser, and they don't have relay's we need (seriously, I looked at ever relay they had.)

So if you think you found a good relay, post it.
    And so the quest begins...
    Last edited by cardcollector; 01-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.

*update* everyone is correct, wired it up sans resistor and it works perfectly!!

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck finding a decent relay similar to the one cardcollector said would be the ideal one? I'd really like to power my P4 on my econo board closer to it's fullest potential, but if all we can find is a relay that only kicks it up to 500ma I think I'll let it slide. Doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Try it direct off of the board, you'll be suprised.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS