Thread: Latching & Momentary?

Default Latching & Momentary?

What is the difference between Latching Switches and Momentary Switches?

Thanks...

Sorry for noob question.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

This is in the wrong section, it should be in the LED hilts and wiring discussion section, not EL.

This is basic question, I'm kind of surprised that I didn't find anything in the FAQ or Thread Index about it.

A Momentary switch is only closed as long as you keep the button pressed. Some sound/driver boards need this type. Example: UltraSound 2.5, Economy Hasbro boards.

A latching switch has sort of a locking (or latching ) mechanism inside it that keeps the switch closed when you press the button, until you press the button again to unlock it. The FX type sound boards need this type of switch, and you use it for direct drive sets up, like with just a resistor or buck puck.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I actually think this should be put on that definitions list, I had them confused as well if you remember

Jedi-Loreen,

Do the Momentary Switches we use like the ones Tim sells work closed circuit (current flowing) and pressed to break the circuit?

Or

Open circuit (no current flowing) and pressed to close (complete) circuit?

I looked this up again and there are both examples of how the switch works.

(ON) OFF pressed
    or
    (OFF) ON pressed

I'm not second guessing you, or questioning your knowledge I just wanted to be sure this is how our switches work.-- (ON) OFF pressed.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jase Kala Maris; 04-01-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: I'm silly

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Most switches that we all use are NO or Normally Open, meaning no current flow until the circuit is closed.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Ya know I'm starting to wonder if I have A.D.D. or something, the first time I read Jedi-Loreens post I thought it said the reverse of what it says...

But I'm clear now thanks.

Should've know better