Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1.25 sink tube Qui gon Tutorial

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome! This is to cool!

A few questions,
    Do you have another copy of the overlay that you could post? OR if not, what grid size is it? 5 or 4.

Where did you buy the Waste pipe? It doesn't look like it went all the way around the tube, does it?

Very nicely done thanks for sharing!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post

A few questions,
    Do you have another copy of the overlay that you could post? OR if not, what grid size is it? 5 or 4.

Where did you buy the Waste pipe? It doesn't look like it went all the way around the tube, does it?
    I made the grid on ms paint, here is one of the "spares" I did, you may need to scale it up or down to suit.

Also this was very useful

I shortened this one slightly when I used it, best thing to do is print them off and play around with them to get the scale right. i think I read somewhere that the prop is 11 1/4 inches, so mine is slightly longer to compensate for also being slightly thicker.

The Pipe only goes about two thirds around the sinktube section, the red Thumbscrew keeps it in place. If it went all the way around the pipe I couldn't fit it into my shroud, but the Sleeve Tims sells may be bigger, so you may have more luck. The pipe is 1.5 inch drainage pipe, I got from a "Wickes" hardware store. But I'm in England so I don't know what your hardware stores are called. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadar Al'Niende View Post
    I think the innovation used in this shows a willingness to use what is on hand and an amazing power of imagination and ingenuity... My hat goes off to you sir!
    You took the words right out of mouth. Specifically, the words "innovation" and "ingenuity." I've thought of using a PVC or ABS pipe for a Qui-Gon hilt, but I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to make this sort of sink-tube/waste-pipe hybrid using such simple tools. (Although, as Joleen noted, it sure doesn't looks easy.) I have always assumed: good Qui-Gon hilt = sophisticated lathe and milling work = big bucks. Very resourceful, and a very nice saber. Thanks.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Well done man! A great blend of ingenuity and hard work. Exactly the kind of member that drives the hobby forward. Great tutorial too! You should be very proud of this saber, it is awsesome.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    You took the words right out of mouth. Specifically, the words "innovation" and "ingenuity." I've thought of using a PVC or ABS pipe for a Qui-Gon hilt, but I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to make this sort of sink-tube/waste-pipe hybrid using such simple tools. (Although, as Joleen noted, it sure doesn't looks easy.) I have always assumed: good Qui-Gon hilt = sophisticated lathe and milling work = big bucks. Very resourceful, and a very nice saber. Thanks.
    Who's Joleen?

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I was wondering the same thing Jedi Loreen....

haha!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Who's Joleen?

Umm.... Joleen is Jedi Loreen's evil twin sister who appears only after I've had a couple of beers.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

LOL.

It's ok Matt. As long as you remember later what my name really is.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

at the beginning of this tutorial, you showed that you sandwiched the sink tube on either side with identical pieces of piping that you connected with the 8/32 round head bolts. What kind of piping or pieces are those? I don't recognize them. I'd like to attempt this myself but I don't know what to search for.
    I'm Gonna Ride My Krayt Dragon To Valhalla!

Quote Originally Posted by MakillaGorilla View Post
    at the beginning of this tutorial, you showed that you sandwiched the sink tube on either side with identical pieces of piping that you connected with the 8/32 round head bolts. What kind of piping or pieces are those? I don't recognize them. I'd like to attempt this myself but I don't know what to search for.
    I think you're referring to the MHS to 1.25" sink tube adapter. It allows you to use MHS blade holders and pommels with a 1.25" sink tube. A great piece to have if you want to work with the narrower sink tube.