Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feedback on my second saber

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    2" wide? That's gotta be a typo, since the OD of most sabers is around 1.5".
    Yup, ya got me! It's 2" long, 1" wide. fixed it.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thats one handsome saber Jay-gon!

I found a nice set of dimensions for length and width of the board, but the height I am not certain of. Truth will be told once all the parts come in.

In the mean time if anyone has an 05 Vader board sitting around... and can post side shots of it, it would be extremely helpful. Otherwise, I will be sure post some once mine gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The transistors on the board may not clear the sidewalls of the hilt.
    This was exactly what I meant to say, just didn't come out right.

I think you're talking 7-8mm in height. The thing is, the battery solution will take up a lot of the " height" space you have. Before you even get to the MR board.

Because of the transistors the MR baords are a few mm more in height than a US or CF board. And no where near as easy to fit in a saber.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Okay, now I know that the inside diameter of a graflex is more that the MHS (just under your normal 1.5" sink tube). But this gives me hope for my battery pack solution. It looks like the MR board fits into that sized hilt on top of the batteries. Fingers still crossed for mine.

I am still waiting for another 2 days for parts to come in. I will get the height of the Vader board posted once I get it. Feel free to beat me to it.

Well, bad news. I can definitively say that the Vader board does not fit comfortably on top of a AA batter holder and into the MHS.

I did manage to get it to fit, and I was even left with resonance chamber. So it is doable, just not in the way I had intended.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You will find that electronics rarely fit like they were intended.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

As intended, or expected?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

The MR Vader board was 3/8" tall, and it was nearly that tall all the way to the edges.

I am planning on switching to a (2)AA Li-ion battery pack and working on a chassis system. Now that it is working and I can satisfy my need to play with the saber, I really want to polish the look of the inside of my hilt.

I have access to laser cut acrylic pretty cheap from work so I am going to have a full chassis cut out of clear acrylic once I finish the dimensions and design.

Going with Li-ion's I will be at 7.2v. I understand 6v is as much as you want to feed a MR board though. I'm gonna need to find a good way to control the voltage. PCB?